We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

I tried to search the forums for the most recent, but could not find any. I want to know the most comfortable and most leg room. Price is not really a factor. I am dreading the long flight so COMFORT AND ROOM is the major factor. Please help with airline suggestions.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

Hi,

From Jacksonville (JAX), you'll obviously have to make at least one if not two connections to get to Manila (MNL)..

Just a few ideas that I think you may want to investigate:

Cathay Pacific (CX): They operate from JFK via ANC to HKG with connection to MNL or even Cebu (CEB).. They have a new long-haul economy class seat that is based on the 'shell' design.. Some people really like it since the seat in front doesn't recline into your face, but others don't like it.. You may want to read some reviews to get a feel for how you may like it. CX is part of the One World alliance if mile accrual is important to you.

Asiana (OZ): One of the best airlines in Asia-- a newer player, but becoming a real force to be reckoned with.. Their fares are priced pretty well in relation to other carriers.. Most reviews of their cabin and staff are very positive.. They fly mostly B772's (with exception to/from LAX where B74M's are still found) and their leg room is seen as better than most in Economy.. seats are the classic recline style.. Asiana flies from Seattle, San Fran, LA, Chicago and New York to Seoul and you'd then connect to MNL, Cebu or even Clark (CRK)-- one of a very few non-Philippine airlines to fly to/from Clark. Asiana is a member of the Star Alliance airline group.

Korean Airlines (KE): Like Asiana, and excellent airline.. Also based in Seoul. They too are in the process of upgrading their fleet.. They fly mostly B772ER's or B744's to the US.. The new seats are standard recline- to about 121 degrees, a large AVOD screen and power ports at each seat.. Korean Airlines does have the most non-stop USA service and come as close to you as Atlanta. You'd have to fly to Seoul/Incheon (ICN) and connect to MNL. They are a member of the Sky Team alliance.

China Airlines (CI): China Airlines (from Taiwan) is usually priced at the lower end of the fare range, so they tend to be popular with the budget-minded set.. Seats aren't seen as state of the art, but their service is good.. You connect via TPE to MNL.

Best of luck!

Travel Safe,

Eastern Standard...
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

When do you want to go on this trip?

If price is no factor then just go with business class. All of the airlines with business class will have seats with more leg room than economy. Most of the newer airplanes and some old planes with new upgrades will have seats that practically lay flat for sleeping on international flights. Check the prices for business class and see if you really want to pay that much.

Right now you will have to be pretty lucky to get some good prices from any airline to the Philippines - all of the flights are expensive and in some cases you can't get the dates you want unless you go out further.

If you want prices you can pull up the websites for airlines like Delta, United, Asiana, Eva Air, Korean Air and China Airlines and see what the prices are like and the availability. The easiest thing to do is to visit a local travel agency and get free information from them. You do not have to purchase your seat from them unless you want to.

United Airlines used to have Economy Plus seating in the economy section. Not as good as business class but a little more room to move around. Choosing your seats ahead of time helps on long runs. However, better seats in economy usually go to those who have silver, gold or platinum level (or equivalent) frequent flier cards.

Don't wait until the last minute to choose your seats. Not all of the seats on the same plane in economy have the same leg room. It just depends on how they installed the seats for that flight. Seats with the most leg room in economy are usually just behind the huge doors - but these seats go to preferred passengers. Seats with no other seat backs in front of you will usually be narrower. The tray comes out of the armrest and that takes about an inch of butt room away.

I am 6 feet tall and probably a lot heavier and older than you and I fly a lot in economy and make the best of it. I do take all of the junk out of the pocket in front of me to give myself more knee room. When I have enough miles to fly business for free I do it!

I lived in Jacksonville for a couple years, from there you will probably have at least 2 in between stops. Usually one stop in the US and once in Japan (or Korea or Taiwan) and then on to your final stop. Sometimes you have an extra stop in the US just to get you closer to your primary hub. Delta and UA arrive in Asia late at night. China Airlines has flights that arrive in Asia during the day hours.

Seat Guru might be able to help you a little.

http://www.seatguru.com/

Good luck.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,262 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

go business class......then it will not matter..or get the long haul flight connection out of Houston to Japan..suck down some sleeping pills with a two hour lay over in Japan..your in MNL...or do break it up...stop over to have some fun on the way...

Edited: 11:43 pm, May 28, 2010
fairfield...
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

mhemphil,

.... From your statement, "price is not really a factor" ....Travel business class all the way. Why subject yourself to being herded like the rest of the masses? I travel business class all the time and can attest...it's worth the money.

.....Enjoy the Philippines......:-)

Papalo

U>S>A>
Level Contributor
500 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

Absolutely agree that business class is the way to go.. the back of the plane is misery..After this last trip i vowed to myself that i would not ever go economy again.. Chances of screaming babies in business / first is much less than the back of the plane.

If price is an issue i think Korean air has a little more room and many more amenities in economy class vs Delta. they both get to Manila late at night.

Usually Korean Air can be booked for less than the price on Delta but not always.

It seems that Delta empties out the nursing homes when hiring their stewardess's Both guys and gals. Korean air is pleasant on the eyes and the service is much, much better. My last trip was Delta and not a lot of fun in the back of the plane to say the least. Delta changes to a Filipino crew In Japan and the trip to Manila from there is somewhat more pleasant.

I always hear very good things about Cathay pacific but have not yet tried that airline. Apparently , economy class is roomier but that is only what i hear.

Hi My friend Levtovertoo...Just happened to pull up this Mnl forum and saw your post as well as papalo..

Thomas

Thomas

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

hi ,nobody has mentioned philippine airlines -they fly from las vegas ,la and san fran to manila and their prices are good depending on ur date of travel but havent any idea about legroom as havent flown with them but worth a look if any of the departure points are convenient.

U>S>A>
Level Contributor
500 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

Flying from the west coast PAL is a good option...the problem comes if you are flying from east coast USA there is the switching of luggage from the domestic flight to the PAL flight. i did this once , changing at San Fran and my luggage got lost going..then found..lost coming then found finally.

Another advantage of PAL is the flight arrives mnl during the day if i remember correctly and the departure is convenient also .

I like PAL..the PAL planes within the Philippines definitely have more room but for international flts at this time i am not sure if the same roominess applies.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

Thank you everyone for all your responses. I am not actually going until December for Christmas. So I have some time. I am actually worried about my 74 yr old mother who is traveling so I might just purchase first class for her and my cousin. The rest can travel business class-there is 5 of us all going.

Eastern Standard...
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

"I am actually worried about my 74 yr old mother who is traveling so I might just purchase first class for her and my cousin. The rest can travel business class-there is 5 of us all going."

+

Pull up some of the websites for the suggested airlines and run the prices, don't wait until the last minute to find out that you will be shelling out a lot of money for your holiday.

You might be a millionaire and buying everyone business class and first class seats is no big problem or you may be under the impression that first class or business class is only a couple hundred dollars more! Don't wait until the last minute and then be surprised about how much everything costs.

Using Delta for example, leaving December 2 and returning on the 17th the price 20 minutes ago is over $6000 for business class for one person. Economy is around $1290 for the same airplane. Then you have to add in the taxes and other charges too. Closer to Christmas the higher the prices.

If some of your passengers are kids they could sit in economy as long as an adult is with them to save money. Little kids with little legs and short skinny teenagers don't need a lot of room!

Run the prices first and then decide - unless like you said in your opening post "price is (still) not really a factor!"

Good luck.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best airline from Florida to Manila, Philippines

To minimize the luggage transfers by staying with one airline, you can fly Delta:

JAX to either ATL or Detroit, then to Tokyo, and finally to MNL.

I flew Delta from SFO-Tokyo-MNL in March. I wanted to fly an Asian airline like Cathay Pacific but Delta was better than anticipated. Flights were on time and got fed plenty.