We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manila Taxis

Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Manila Taxis

The last time I was in Manila, I had a hard time finding an affordable taxi. They took one look at my blonde hair and tried to overcharge me with unreasonable lump sums to get from place to place. Are there different kinds of taxis in Manila, perhaps some that use a meter? How will I know? I would like to take a taxi from the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
9 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manila Taxis

With the exception of the airport, metered taxis are everywhere and they are required to use their meters under the terms of their license. If you get in one that refuses to use it, just get out and take another one, there are usually plenty more. I've been living in Manila for 5 years and that's what I do.

Chris

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Philippines
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Manila Taxis

By law all taxis should use a meter except for the airport and coupon taxis, otherwise get their plate no for reporting or ask first if it is a metered taxi before boarding.

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manila Taxis

I will give you a tip , open the taxi door ask if he has a meter if yes get in if no get out ,otherwise when you get to your destination you are in for an argument and a rip off.

don't ride in taxis in the philippines unless they put their meter on !!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manila Taxis

Unfortunately what you're experiencing is reverse-racism, which can be quite a discouraging factor in many asian countries. That having been said, I firmly believe that the Philippines is better off in its treatment of foreigners than our neighbors. Laws are in place to prevent unfair treatment of our guests.

I suggest flagging down an MGE taxi, which you can distinguish by its green on white fleet and prominent "MGE" insignia. All the cab-drivers I've had the pleasure of riding with were corteous and always used their meters without my having to prod them to do so. For a nominal fee, you can even give them a call to pick you up and drop you off, wherever you are in the metro. Their number is (02) 363 6096.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
17,759 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manila Taxis

I think the taxi service has improved quite a bit over the past 10 or 11 years! I find it pretty easy and cheap to use a meter taxi to get around town.

When you need a taxi - wave a MOVING taxi down, AVOID taxi cabs waiting around hotels because they will want to bargain, especially if your are not in a cheap place! If you are in front of an expensive hotel try moving down the street a little before you wave a taxi down.

When you get a taxi to stop, with the door open - tell the guy you want to use the meter, if he wants to bargain the fare - tell him to shove off and wave another taxi down.

There seems to be plenty of taxi cabs available so you shouldn't have to only use the one who wants you to pay more!

Being blonde is not the reason you pay too much, no backbone is why you pay more! Don't be timid!

Give it a try!

ryd
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Manila Taxis

and dont forget to ask for your change.

i noticed that manila taxi cabs rarely give you back your change. I'm often not demanding about it as long a the difference is small (5 to 15 pesos).

the cabs in other cities like Iloilo are nicer and will give you back youre change and are grateful if you let them keep it.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
133 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manila Taxis

To thedemigod... Hi, your responses on this forum are really helpful, thanks! I've never tried to call a taxi in Metro Manila like we do here. I just want to ask: re MGE taxis, can you call them to pick you up from a mall or is this unecessary or too complicated? I'm just worried about getting cabs from a mall like SM MegaMall or Podium especially during rush hour there -- and only to travel short distance back to Crowne Plaza Hotel -- and during Christmas/New Year time. When we stayed at the Holiday Inn Galleria, I've always just gotten a cab from outside the hotel because it was convenient.

Mentioned in this post
Metro Manila
Metro Manila
Luzon, Philippines
SM Megamall
SM Megamall
402 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manila Taxis

<<Unfortunately what you're experiencing is reverse-racism>>

Why is it "reverse" racism? It's just racism!

9. Re: Manila Taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 08, 2009