We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makati, late december. Too crowded to shop?

Oslo, Norway
7 posts
Save Topic
Makati, late december. Too crowded to shop?

I'm staying at Makati Palace (5011 P.Burgos Corner Canceres sts) dec. 18.-21.. Does anyone know the place and care to comment?

I take it the city will be very crowded at this time, but was hoping to get some last minute christmas shopping done anyway. Just how crowded and hectic will Makati and Manila be this close to christmas? Where would be the best place to shop for general consumer products (RTW, gadgets etc.) at reasonable prices? Please advice.

Mentioned in this post
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Makati, late december. Too crowded to shop?

My hairdresser used to have a salon at the Makati Palace Hotel and I didn't like the place so much. I was just so glad he transfered his salon to the Fraser Place also in Makati. I don't think that hotel is a safe place to be. My hairdresser said that when he was staying there, there would be some bar girls knocking at his door in the middle of the night. So i guess security is also not so great. The location also is not so close to the shopping center even if it's in Makati.

Shopping might not be a problem if it's done on a weekday. Greenhills might be the best place to shop for RTW and gadgets. But i recommend that for gadgets, its better to buy at the real stores where they can give a warranty. Like if you need an pod, get it at the Apple Center and not just from any store selling an ipod.

To avoid crowds, its always best to shop at opening hours which is usually 9am forthe holiday season.

Mentioned in this post
Makati Palace Hotel
Makati Palace Hotel
387 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
tam
Level Contributor
258 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Makati, late december. Too crowded to shop?

The place is in makati city but its not a walking distance to the shopping area. Base from my experience, those dates are very busy although malls closing time is extended but still alot of people doing a last minute shopping

switz
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Makati, late december. Too crowded to shop?

Hi there Ravilive..

We just arrived from Philippines yesterday. We stayed in Makati the last three days.All hotels were fully booked.We checked about five hotels in makati(ayala area) before we found one.

Ayala was crowded around noon. In the morning around 9 was the best time to go shopping.I guess it will be more crowded in Dec.

But i still hope you`ll enjoy your stay there anyway..

Greets

sugapep

Mentioned in this post
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Philippines
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Makati, late december. Too crowded to shop?

The place is just a about 5 min or less via jeepney to the Ayala Center. Any mall is crowded before xmas but you can enjoy shopping if you do it during weekday, just shop at store opening hours. Regularly it's opened at 10:00 but opens earlier during xmas season. YOu can go to SM, Landmark,and Glorietta for reasonable goods such as RTWs/shoes, while for signatures you can go to Greenbelt,Rustan's ,6750 Shangrila and Glorietta. For gadgets, shoes sporting outfit/eqpt. go to Park square one. You'll enjoy shopping/dining in makati esp during midnight sale (payday period) but nothing beats Greenhills where you can extend the value of your money, it's just so crowded and have to bargain.

Mentioned in this post
Ayala Center
Ayala Center
296 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Glorietta
Glorietta
210 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Oslo, Norway
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Makati, late december. Too crowded to shop?

Thank you all for good advice. I really appreciate it!

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Makati, late december. Too crowded to shop?

Hi

Saw your message and thought I would respond .

I have friends who have stayed at Makati Palace and have no bad feedbacks , although you get what you pay for , it is not the biggest and the best. The location is slap bang in the middle of the strip for the night clubs / girlie bars.Am not sure if you are travelling with family or on your own , however if your travelling with family etc , the location should not cause you a problem as the bars are more discreet than bangkok and you will not get pestered all the time.During 5this time of the year the traffic will pretty congested , however the location where you are is only 10 minutes away in taxi from some excellent shopping locations , such as glorietta , greenbelt, and powerplant. If you want more market type items , then a good place to go is greenhills with lots of amrket stalls .knock off clothing , sports items and cell phone accessories , however this is about 30-40 mins away by taxi. To go to Manila from Makati can be a hassle with the traffic , if mostly you are interested in shopping then Makati and Greenhills is probably the best bet.

Hope the above is helpful.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
New York
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Makati, late december. Too crowded to shop?

Just saw Sodagirl response to your post.

With all respect to Sodagirl , you will find that the hotel is safe , however like anywhere just use commonsense and security will not be a problem. I know the hairdresser she is talking about , and infact he has also moved out from Fraser place as well.