We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian food?

Sweden
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
Vegetarian food?

Hi all!

I`m leaving for 3 weeks in the Philippines in about a month. I am in need on some advice on food: I am a vegetarian. I eat dairyproducts like milk and cheese but no fish, seafood, chicken or any kind of meet. Is there any typical philippinedishes with only vegetables, or maybe with tofu or something?

Cheers!

Lisa

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Vegetarian food?

You may try bodhi vegetarian health food. These are located in SM malls. SM north edna, megamall, las.

Sweden
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Vegetarian food?

Thank you! I `ll do that. Is there a special dish I should try?

/Lisa

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
32 posts
3. Re: Vegetarian food?

I'm a vegetarian and I'm in the Philippines for a few weeks a year, and have found some trouble finding vegetarian dishes, as most things here have meat or fish with them.

Bodhi is a good suggestion, they're a fast food vegetarian place serving mainly Filipino dishes (a few Chinese ones) using a lot of mock meat. It's tasty and really cheap. They have a version of the traditional "Filipino BBQ" (meat skewered on a stick, bbq-ed in a somewhat sweet sauce) that's pretty good. You can find them in a lot of food courts.

In Binondo (a predominantly Chinese area), there are some exclusively vegetarian restaurants since there are a lot of Buddhist people in the area. I don't know any specifically, unfortunately.

Hmm, as for Filipino dishes themselves, I know there are a few but I can't think of them off of the top of my head right now so let me ask my parents and I'll get back to you tomorrow. But basically if it seems like a vegetarian dish just check and ask to make sure there is no fish sauce ("patis") in it.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
32 posts
4. Re: Vegetarian food?

Hmm, maybe Crispy Kangkong (fried battered leafy vegetable, done somewhat like tempura?) or Sinangag (garlic fried rice). I'll let you know more when I think of any...

Philippines
Level Contributor
589 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Vegetarian food?

Hi Lisa,

OK, here is the deal. I am a mother of two vegetarian teenagers. It has been very difficult for the past few years since their needs were far too different from what we had before. At first, I would load up my suitcases with Morning Star vegetarian food from the States. Then I told myself, I need to find out an alternative. I bought food at Bodhi, which was the easiest thing. But then they didn't like it since it was simply fast food type, not so healthy looking after 2 meals.

Then, i found out that in Binondo, near all the Taoist temples, Masangkay Street, that's where you can find a lot of the vegetarian restaurants and mock meat suppliers. But of course, no garlic in their dishes. Besides, it was almost impossible to go all the way there, with all the traffic and pedestrian congestion.

All around the city, I see more and more vegetarian places cropping up, ex. Greens in Quezon City, Likhang Diwa, also in Quezon City.

Bottom line is, Filiino dishes have a lot of vegetable dishes. But if you will eat out, ask for a simple sauteed vegetable dish, tell them no meat and no fish sauce. if you go to a Chinese restaurant, so many tofu and vegetable dishes as well. And if you will have a kitchen at your place, go and buy your own vegetables at the market or supermarket. Good vegetables are always found in a weekend farmer's market, seldom in a supermarket. And if you like mock meat, like my daughter, I buy mine at Veggie Cafe, in Banawe corner Calamba street in Quezon City. They love the chicken nuggets there, not the local one that they make, but the one from taiwan that they sell.

Believeme, you will survive, whether buying your own ingredients, or simply eating out in an ordinary restaurant.

Good luck.

Philippines
Level Contributor
589 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Vegetarian food?

Hi Lisa,

Me again. Check out this link:

www.happycow.net/asia/philippines/manila/

Daily Veggie N' Cafe

711-8209, 711-3214

540 Banawe cor. Calamba Sts.

Quezon City

(where I buy my daughter's mock meats)

of course most Indian restaurants around are vegetarian

Krus na Ligas in UP Campus Diliman (might be too hard for you to get to this place)

Greens

415-4796, 410-2440, 0918-5687649

92 Sct. Castor

South Triangle

Quezon City (not fantastic but ok)

and a lot more places.

I do suggest you cook your own food if you can.

Sweden
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Vegetarian food?

Thank you guys! You´ve been really helpful.

Cheers!

/Lisa

8. Re: Vegetarian food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, October 05, 2009