We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vigan / Laoag / Pagudpod Road Trip

Philippines
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Vigan / Laoag / Pagudpod Road Trip

Vigan/Laoag/Pagudpod route for a 3-day road trip --- is this itinerary possible or practical? We are planning to embark on a 3-day road trip up north. Any suggestions on what town (Vigan, Laoag or Pagudpod) to proceed to first, second and last? We will be coming from and returning to Manila taking our own car. Please include itinerary, places of interest and accomodations. We were actually just thinking of getting only one lodging base as our jump off point as this will be cheaper ... so, any suggestions where we could make our lodging base --- is it in pagudpod, vigan or laoag? PLEASE NEED INFO ASAP! Thanks in advance!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vigan / Laoag / Pagudpod Road Trip

In 3 days?! If you are travelling during the day, keep in mind that your day 1 and day 3 alone will be on the road to and from your destination.

A 3 day VIgan could be more manageable. Usually, a 4 day/3 night itinerary for those "flying" from Manila would include Laoag and Vigan. You should at least give one place a full day. But considering you're driving, save yourself some stress and gas! If you have limited time, take your sweet time and explore just Vigan instead.

You can check out the following website for info and numbers of Vigan accomodations.

http://www.geocities.com/vigansite/

If you leave Vigan early morning on the third day, might want to break away from the heat and have lunch in Baguio instead and go down in the afternoon. That's what we usually do every year when we visit Vigan.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vigan / Laoag / Pagudpod Road Trip

it is nice to see Vigan at night. :)

A three day road trip is just not recommended. As mentioned, Day 1 and Day 3 would be travel days and there are a lot of stops worth taking from Vigan to Pagudpod.

Example, Bangui Windmills, Cape Bojeador (i hope i spelled it right), Paoay Church, etc ...

If you insist on 3 days, My suggestion:

Day 1: Leave Manila at 6AM and drive straight to Laoag. If you can leave earlier, better. Make as many stops as you can on popular locations between Vigan and Laoag.

Spend overnight in Laoag. I suggest fort ilocandia. The restaurant by the beach has a veranda with a great sunset view. Nice way of relaxing after a long day.

Day 2: Leave for Pagupod which should be less than 2 hours. I stayed at Apo Idon and they have good rooms at budget rates. Breakfast by the beach in the morning is a great experience

Day 3: Leave for Vigan. Stay overnight if you want to see Vigan at night otherwise drive back to Manila after seeing at.

I really wouldn't recommend a 3 day trip for these places.

If you ask me, i'll stay one more night each in Fort Ilocandia and do two nights as well in Pagudpod. And then another night in Vigan.

remember to gas up in Laoag. It may be difficult to find fuel after Laoag.

3. Re: Vigan / Laoag / Pagudpod Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 23, 2009