We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

My name is Bigtruckseriesreview on Youtube and I made videos of my trip to Dubai and Seychelles. I wanted to give out some specific tips for first timers who come to Seychelles - especially Americans (few that do).

#1 You should bring an unlocked smartphone with you. You can get a sim card and data plan for your stay - which will allow you to add minutes and be able to call your hosts, or friends. After 8pm, Victoria gets extremely dark and most bus services aren't running - leaving you find cabs or hitch rides.

#2 You need to bring an iPHONE (5 or 6 are best) / iPAD with sim card LTE or any Google phone that has Google Maps. Google Maps is an EXCELLENT way of keeping track of addresses and locations due to the fact that at night it's difficult to see and most houses don't have addresses - making it difficult to relay locations to taxis.

#3 The Bus is the cheapest way to get around. 5 Rupees per ride. It will typically cost less than $1 to get anywhere on Mahe by bus, but if you end up on the bus during rush hour (after 3), it can be hot, crowded and a violently jarring ride - especially if you're on an older TATA Motors bus.

#4 There are plenty of Hotels, villas, and rooms to choose from. Most of them are a stone's throw form the beach.

Be sure to know the actual location of your stay because some of them can be deceptively far from the actual beach/public transportation/stores. Many - up long, difficult hills.

#5 Be sure to know whether stores are nearby. the closer you get to Victoria, the easier it is to shop. Problem is, many stores close early. In the outskirts of the island, stores close later, but once they are closed, there's very little traffic and unless you rented transportation, (expensive) it's hard to get cabs. Be sure to communicate regularly with your host.

#6 Although you'll want to eat at the big restaurants, the smaller cafes have better prices. The larger restaurants hit you with "value Added tax" and that tax can be very hefty. Food costs are already expensive in most of the big named restaurants, but the value added taxes can turn a simple meal into a $40 proposition. Juice gets progressively expensive too and most of it is imported in cans.

#7 the best place to shop is Victoria's city center. I bought beautiful bags, purses, t-shirts, etc for low prices. Beau Vallon can be higher for many items.

#8 If you are USED TO driving on the WRONG side of the road, you'll fit in nicely. Just take care around the curves and you'll be OK. If you are used to driving on the left-side of a car/right side of the street... don't even think about driving here. The confusion will kill you.

22 replies to this topic
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

Some good advice, i will check out your You Tube vids later. We are heading to Seychells in a couple of weeks for the first time, mostly based on Praslin but have 3 days on Mahe....

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

Had a watch of your Seychells video's, gave a good feel for what to expect. Those hills look steeper than I thought :) Would you head back to the Seychells ?

Jez

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

The 16 hour flight from JFK to SEZ is a deal killer.

I loved it- but it's just so far.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
4. Re: TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

Thanks for the very helpful info. How did you fly from JFK to Mahe in 16 hours? Every thing I have seen so far is over 25 via Etihad or via Addis. Thanks

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

12 hours from JFK to DXB.

4 hours to SEZ.

I didn't do it all in the same day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

Here are my Top Ten Tips...

1.) Unless you can't drive, avoid the slow busses, and rent a cheap car instead.....at around $US 35 per day, it's not much to fork out, and was the best buy I had on Mahe, and with tourists driving so many vehicles, the islanders are very accomodating, and won't hoot if you stall (repeatedly...).

2.) The food is extremely expensive, and despite what some seafood experts would have you believe, can be quite average (unless you got serious wonga to chuck about...). My top-tip in this department is to just to give-up in this one pleasure of foreign travel, buy a bag of chips from a street-vendor, spend the money saved on hiring a car instead, and just forget about ordering from a menu, as I found what were considered moderately priced places still way too expensive, and not even that special.

3.) They have a local distillery that produces rum, vodka etc.....it's a fraction of the prices charged at any bar, so pick up a few bottles, buy some mixers, and fix yourself a drink for a fraction of your host's bar prices.

4.) Virtually everything in the Seychelles has to be flown in, and costs a lot, so don't expect complimentary mini-toothpastes, or other similar perks in your room. Buying shampoo costs more than you might have estimated, so bring that kinda stuff with you.

5.)Check that your chosen accomodation has air-con before you get there, you will regret it if they don't.

6.) Don't get irritated if customer service levels fall beneath expectations. The Seychellois take pride in not bowing and scraping before foreigners, and if you prefer your service more subservient, consider going to Thailand instead.

7.) Almost all red-meat and chicken has to be flown in from South Africa, so despite your expensive room-rate, don't expect any to be included in your breakfast buffet.

8.) If seeking photographic opportunities, or visitor attractions beyond those offered by the beaches, adjust expectations accordingly, as reviews of anything else on the islands are rarely favourable.

9.) Don't waste too much time seeking anything special, relevant or stylish from local shopping spree's.....they don't honestly have much worth buying. All I ever saw were loads of shells, and endless cheeky products based upon that saucy Vagina-shaped local nut, who's entertainment value decreased with every sighting.

10.) Unless you are super-rich, or frequently pass your time in in some of the world's most beautiful locations, remember to enjoy and appreciate every moment you are lucky enough to spend somewhere like the Seychelles, as most people will never share your good fortune in having been there.

7. Re: TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:07 am, October 08, 2015

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
8. Re: TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

I am also bookmarking these tips too. Headed there tomorrow morning!

Thank you sir!

1 post
9. Re: TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

Thank you Anton for your advices,I am going at the end of Nov there. Im looking forward to take my mom on this beautiful island!

Wien,Österreich
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
10. Re: TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES

Hi there,

are there any suggestions for special food stalls?

Thanks in advance

Reply to: TIPS for first timers in SEYCHELLES
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted