We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars or Euros?

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
Dollars or Euros?

Are US Dollars accepted on Mahe or do we need to bring Euros? Do we need to change for some local currency or will all shops and restaurants take dollars or Euros or credit cards?

Mentioned in this post
Mahe Island
Mahe Island
Seychelles
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,340 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollars or Euros?

Hi Clipp!

Euros and usd are accepted in most of the restaurants and shops but there a few which are accepting only scr. However it is better to use scr because paying at restaurants with usd will increase your bill, fx rates being very poor. Credit cards are accepted in big shops and most of the restaurants.

Miki

Droitwich, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollars or Euros?

Is this the same in Praslin and La Digue? Would it be best to exchange my GBP to Euros and take them, then while over there exchange some euros to the Seychelles Rupee?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollars or Euros?

Honestly, I only encountered a select few places that even would take Euros - rupees were easily the most widespread currency accepted from my experience.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,340 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollars or Euros?

Take GBP with you and change them in SCR in Seychelles just outside the airport. The hotels you have chosen are accepting hard foreign currency but the rates are really poor. I'm travelling in Portugal right now so it might take a while to post on the forum.

Miki

Mentioned in this post
Mahe Island...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollars or Euros?

Both currencies are used and can be exchanged at the foreign exchange kiosk, banks and some hotel desks

some places accept foreign currencies whilst others prefer to have payment in Seychelles rupees

there are ATMs available and most places accepts VISA, MASTER cards and few American Express

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollars or Euros?

Perhaps I didn't go to suitably up-market places, but I never once saw a price listed in non-Seychellios Rupees, and quoted in any other currency. With currency-exchange facilities at the airport, and an appropriate amount of Rupee-only dispensing ATM machines, my advice would be that it makes no difference if one has a fistful of Dollars or €uros upon arrival, so swop them for local currency, or use your Visa card to draw them locally instead, and just stick to using the national currency.

My guess would be that offering to pay using a foreign currency would either result in uncertainty from the seller regarding exchange rates, or would result in a quote unlikely to be to your benefit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollars or Euros?

Perhaps I didn't go to suitably up-market places, but I never once saw a price listed in non-Seychellios Rupees, and quoted in any other currency. With currency-exchange facilities at the airport, and an appropriate amount of Rupee-only dispensing ATM machines, my advice would be that it makes no difference if one has a fistful of Dollars or €uros upon arrival, so swop them for local currency, or use your Visa card to draw them locally instead, and just stick to using the national currency.

My guess would be that offering to pay using a foreign currency would either result in uncertainty from the seller regarding exchange rates, or would result in a quote unlikely to be to your benefit.

Any hope that by offering £'s, $'s or €'s one might obtain a more beneficial price tag due to some imagined hopes of their own currency's added value above its official exchange-rate value to the Rupee should be abandoned, and replaced by the reality that using foreign currency will prove far more of a hinderance, than a benefit to travellers in this country.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollars or Euros?

Euros are accepted in almost all establishments. We paid a fishermen for fish using Euros at Anse la Mouche beach.

9. Re: Dollars or Euros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, February 15, 2017