We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To go direct at night or better to go the next morning

Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
To go direct at night or better to go the next morning

Hi...I'm looking for suggestions from the experts..

Its going to be our 1st trip (Dec 2016) to Maldives. We (12pax) will be staying at guesthouse in the island of UKULHAS. Our flight eta at 2050hrs. The suggested arrangement was for us to transfer directly by speedboat upon arrival.

Well, that sounds like a good plan avoiding 1 night stay in (Male/Hulhumale) until we realize...

its going to be a 1.5hrs on a speedboat in total darkness ( a bit exaggerating probably).

What do you think ?... go ahead with the transfer or take a room & go to the island in the morning.

Our concern is basically on Safety.

If we take in the morning....probably the scenery will be plus I guess.

Hoping to hear from the experts .....

London, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: To go direct at night or better to go the next morning

I've been on speedboats at night and it's perfectly safe but I think you would enjoy it more in the morning. Sunset is around 6pm so it will be pretty dark

There's lots of guesthouses in Hulhumale and it's probably simpler to get there than Male itself. How long will you be in Maldives for?

Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: To go direct at night or better to go the next morning

Thanks for your tips. We will be there from Dec 16 - Dec 21

Male
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
3. Re: To go direct at night or better to go the next morning

Even if it's a bit of a nuisance having to make the transfer at night after the long flight, I think there's always something really nice about waking up the next morning in your room and ready for the holiday, instead of having to get up early and go through the hassle of the transfer.

Although it's nice to be in a speedboat in the daytime, you'll see plenty of the ocean in the daytime during your holiday anyway.

Kat

Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: To go direct at night or better to go the next morning

Yup that's true...waking up at our own leisurely time...

But we do have elderly folks and children in the group, so that's something that we need to consider too.

They might be worried when they see "darkness" since its going to be their 1st boat trip at night.

Thank you for you feedback Kat...

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: To go direct at night or better to go the next morning

I recently did a nighttime transfer to the airport from Baros but it was only 20 minutes and it wasn't too dark because we quickly saw the lights from Male and the airport. I have sailed in a small dinghy from a larger boat to a small picnic island in the dark and it was pretty scary but you will be in a speedboat which is better. I think at the end of the day it is your call. What time would your transfer be the next day if you decided to stay overnight at Hulhumale ? You don't want to waste much time hanging around waiting to go to your hotel.

Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: To go direct at night or better to go the next morning

we have not set a time yet. I anticipate probably be around 9-10 am.

We manage to get rooms @ Sunny Suites & confirmation that the speedboat can fetch us from Hulhumale I/o crossing over to Male.

I guess....the earlier the better ...when the seas are calm. I've read somewhere that in Dec, the condition can get a little rough tho....is it true ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: To go direct at night or better to go the next morning

I think it's more in your head about safety than the reality, but get why you don't fancy it.

Seas can get rough any time of year, it's weather related, and they won't take you if they think it's not safe.

8. Re: To go direct at night or better to go the next morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 27, 2017