We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deserting the Maldives for Oz!!!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Deserting the Maldives for Oz!!!!

Hi Guy's

We have decieded to desert the Maldives for next year and go to Oz instead!! (But will be back the year after for my 40th!!!)

Also, we will be going for 3 weeks! Great!! Our Itinary;

9 nights Perth (staying at Joondalup Resort)

1 Night at Gerald

4 nights at Monkey Mia Resort (swim with dolphins!!)

3 nights back in Perth @ Joondalup Resort

3 Nights at Sydney @ Shangri La Resort Hotel.

Can't wait.

Rousey's Travels

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
618 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Deserting the Maldives for Oz!!!!

All together now.....

Tie my Roussey down sport

Tie my Roussey down

Tie my Roussey down sport

And give him a good rogering round.

p.s. 'Mad as a cut snake' is a popular saying !

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Deserting the Maldives for Oz!!!!

Have a great trip, we had 4 nights in Monkey Mia last year and it was great, anyway it is still the Indian Ocean. Say hello to all of the dolphins for us. Your 15 hour leg from Dubai to Sydney will land in Singapore on the way so don't worry too much. Where are you staying at Monkey Mia, at the resort or in Denham?

Montgomery, Wales
Level Contributor
604 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Deserting the Maldives for Oz!!!!

Hi Natkacha and Rex Diver,

Cr......... reads c-r-a-z-y of course!!!!

What a picture, Rousey in Aus - now I know where to send all the wine bottle corks. Maybe his next reincarnation will be the new Dame Edna or maybe he could try Les Patterson - and run for prime minister - actually, that's not such a bad idea, hey!!

Tiggy.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Deserting the Maldives for Oz!!!!

Gengy, we are staying at the Monkey Mia resort, 4 nights!! Can't wait. I think that part will be as close to the Maldives as you can get.

Have everything stored as a fav at the moment and visiting it every day, reading all the info!!!

Our flight from Sydney to Dubai, is NON-STOP on the new A380 airbus, 15hrs!!!!

Any tips for Monkey Mia, and must do's???

Thanks

Dame Edna Rousey!!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Deserting the Maldives for Oz!!!!

Hi Batman!

You traitor! LOL

Sounds great, just as long as you don't fly Monarch! Have you asked the weather question yet? You taking those batman shorts to monkeys?!

.......... activegirl

Western Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Deserting the Maldives for Oz!!!!

Hi Guys,

This is my first time posting on the Maldives forum (usually I am just on here reading about all your travels; and dreaming about the day that I too can visit the Maldives - I reckon it is my ultimate dream vacation - anyway, one day ........ and when I do I'll be on here for advice). Enough of all my carrying on.

Congratualtions Rouseys Travels on choosing such a great place to visit (I'm a bit biased being a west aussie and all). I live in Western Australia in a small farming community, about 3.5 hours north of Perth.

My family visited Monkey Mia last year. Great place to chill out and relax. Sorry to tell you that you can't actually "swim" with the dolphins, it is all really eco-friendly and during the feeding times they only allow people in the shallow water (about mid-calf to knee deep). Having said that, if you are lucky enough to be in the water at the right time you may get to encounter them in another way. We were swimming early one evening (6pm - still light and the water is beautiful at this time) and a dolphin actually swam up close and brushed against our daughter (it happened fairly quickly and she was unaware that it was a dolphin brushing against her and got a bit of a fright, but excitedly told everyone of her encounter when we got home). The resort was good and if you are after a cheaper meal and drinks then head to the "Monkey Bar" that is part of the resort but over next to the backpackers (by the way, the backpackers is the best I have ever seen - really new and looks nearly as flash as the main part of the resort - even has rooms right on the beach!!). If you'd like any more info then please let me know.

I can give you heaps of other tips. One place that is great to visit whilst in Perth is Rottnest Island (affectionately know as Rotto to all of us). You can catch a ferry at either Fremantle (Freo) or Hillarys. You can go for the day and once there it's great to hire a bike (or you can catch the local tourist bus - the only vehicles are the bus and a few ranger vehicles). There are historic places of interest (eg lighthouse) nice beaches to swim and relax, little friendly animals called Quokkas (look sorta like minature kangaroos) and a great bakery (yummy cream donuts). They do have accommodation and you can look at staying, but it is just as good doing the day trip.

By the way we have also stayed at the Joondalup Resort and found it to be lovely. Joondalup is a northern suburb about half an hour out of the city.

Anyway, this has turned into quite an epic and I don't want to bore you to tears but if you would like any other info, just let me know. When I can raise the funds and finally look at booking a trip to paradise you can return the offer.

Cheers

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Deserting the Maldives for Oz!!!!

I have been to WA three times as I have family over there. I went up to Monkey Mia in 1996, the beach was pretty crowded and you all have to stand in a line and they pick out a few people to feed the dolphins. My cousin said it was much better a couple of years before that as not so many people knew about it. We flew up to Denham from Kalbarri in an 8 seater plane. The views of the coastline were amazing and also the views of Shark Bay as the pilot flew quite low over there, and we saw a whale and her calf swimming south when we flew back to Kalbarri. I went to Rotto for a day trip, definitely worth a visit. Also try and go down to Freo (Freemantle) if you can.

Make sure you do the Bridge Climb in Sydney, views from the top are incredible. You can book your tickets for the bridge climb before you go on their website. We took a speedboat trip around Sydney Harbour which was great fun. We also took a helicopter ride which also gave you some great views of the City.

18. Re: Deserting the Maldives for Oz!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 13, 2009