We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

Which Male hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Topic
Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

I will be in Sri Lanka for few weeks and plan to go to Male, Maldives for 2days and 1 night

I would like to ask the plane tickets Colombo-male-Colombo how much?

once arrive in male the best way to stay in male without some expensive hotels just want to enjoy the sand and beach (public beach of course)

how about the mode of transportation around the area esp from the airport

looking forward to your help on this

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

Hi, flights are about $120rtn, check out Emirates, Sri Lankan, Mihin Lanka and South China airways..

To be honest, the beach in Male is rubbish, I wouldn't go there.

Nearby is an island called Hulhumale, which has a nice beach and is cheaper than Male for food/hotels. I stayed at a place called UI Inn (check my reviews) which is relatively cheap. A taxi from the airport to there costs 200MRF which is about $13. From Hulhumale. it's easy to take a ferry to Male for about $1

Generally though, Maldives is much more expensive that Sri Lanka

Are you aware though of the "rules" of the local island? When swimming, you must be fully clothed, there's no alcohol etc

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

Hi

There are now some guest houses on local islands, which are subject to local laws as Laura said. Check out the last FAQ on the right hand side of the page: "Can I visit the Maldives on a limited budget?"

OD

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

To be honest, for one night I don't think it is worth travelling further than Hulhumale or Villingili.

Or, I'd be inclined to go to one of the cheaper resorts in Male atoll like Club Faru or Bandos.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

thanks laura1988 for that information... its truly help me..

thanks for the information meaning if I go to Hulmumale.. as you suggested 2 days and one night is not enuf.. how about 3 days and 2 nights.. is that enuf to stay in the place..

thanks

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

btw laura1988

rough estimates for the expenses

(excluding the airfare)

13$ for the taxi from the Hotel to the ferry boat

1$ for the ferry going to the Hulmahule (one way)

how much per night for the stay UI Inn???

thanks for this

angelo

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

Hi,

The 13$ is for the airport to the hotel. Hulhumale is connected to the airport island by a causeway. It's pretty cool actually, you drive over the end of the runway!

From the hotel, it's about a ten minute walk to the ferry if you chose to go to Male.

There's not a great deal to do in Hulhumale, and if you want something to do in the evening, you'll probably want to go to Male' or the bus to the airport hotel for a drink. The hotel offers some day trips as well.

If you eat outside of the hotel, in one of the small cafes in Hulhumale, you could probably spend a max of $10 a day on food, probably more like $20 to eat in the hotel or Male.

I'm not sure about the price at UI as I paid the local price. It's a bit more expensive for tourists http://www.uihotels.com/

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

Laura1988 thanks for the updates..

can i paid the local price if i just walk for it rather than online..

or its better somebody will book for me from Male.

Btw, if i will prefer to stay in Male instead what are the nices places to stay..

br,

angelo

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

Nope, to pay local prices you need a work permit card, which will be copied on check-in.

I wouldn't turn up to the Maldives without a reservation, to be honest, Customs will probably get a bit funny if you don't name a hotel on your reservation and might not let you in.

Plus it's worth having that reservation.. some of the guesthouses and hotels will pick you up from the airport for a small cost. It's worthwhile doing because the logistics of it all can be confusing.

Erm Male depends on budget.. Surf View Hotel I've stayed at a few times, or there's Host Inn, Traders, Beehive Nalahiya, plus lots of others.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

rough estimates for guess houses and would you recommend that is cheaper just to stay

but i would stay of a friend in Male...

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget way to experience Male, Maldives

Angelo - they all vary. There are loads of guest houses on this link, and a quick click on the name of each one will take you to their website where most will have prices listed.

http://www.visitmaldives.com/en/guest_houses

SL