We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help Vakaru or Veligandu

Which Male hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Wales
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Please help Vakaru or Veligandu

After reading all the posts on the Maldives Forum I thought it time to tap your brains, as mine have well and truely been scrambled!

We've been to Royal Island, Filitheyo, and Olivelhi, loved them all in their different ways...but are now stuck for this years trip! Would've liked to have gone to Mirihi, but am not prepared to pay £6000 for the priviledge!

We're after good snorkelling with a bit of a drop off, and a resonably small island and a good variety of food.

After reading some of the TA reviews for both Vakaru and Veligandu, I'm still no further in deciding! As they both seem good. Anyone been to both?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Please help Vakaru or Veligandu

Hi activegirl, we visited Komandoo and were quite happy with the snorkelling there and we HAVE been to other islands in the Maldives. Our only "complaint" was that the coral was bleached from "El Nino" but it was coming back and we saw loads of different fish, manta rays, eagle rays, turtles, reef sharks etc. When we went there was no loud music, boys played footie but not near guests, no broken glasses etc plus we found the staff were friendly and helpful, especially Shareef. Guess the manager had let things go a bit, she was very good when we went. We went a couple of years ago just before they built the water villas, and were put off returning as we thought the extra guests would make the restaurant/bar overcrowded and from your post it seems that this was the case, what a pity. We are going back to the Maldives next Feb but not to Komandoo and we are glad we decided not to return there.

Austria
2 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Please help Vakaru or Veligandu

I am off to Veli for the first time in Dec. Have booked a villa that sits part on the sand and part in the water. Just wondering whether anyone knows which ones are the preffered choice? I see that they is one on the west next to the water sports area. Another at the base near the water villas and then two on the east. Any advice very welcome.

england
5 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Please help Vakaru or Veligandu

We have been to both Veligandu and vakaru.We are due to go back to Veligandu for the third time in Jan 07.They are both fantastic but we found the snorkelling and food slightly better on Veligandu even though Vakaru has nicer rooms (Veligandu are slightly shabby but I understand it is due to be refurbished next march).

We have always stayed in a deluxe beach villa - half on sand half in water and have loved the extra privacy of this.We have also always stayed on the east side of the island but it can be very windy and you lose the sun about 3.30 but you can then go and sit on the sandbank and bake!

Hope this helps slightly!

Austria
2 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Please help Vakaru or Veligandu

Thanks for the info. One last thing, do these half water half beach bungalows have wooden floors inside or tile? Do you think the west side of the island is a good bet? Thanks

england
5 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Please help Vakaru or Veligandu

Hi

Floors are tiled with a wooden deck (make sure u take flip flops as we did get a few splinters!!) West side is sunniest and hottest but there are only 2 here so you maybe need to contact Manager in advance and put in a request.

26. Re: Please help Vakaru or Veligandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, August 21, 2009