We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to Kurumba?

Which Male hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
4 posts
Save Topic
Anyone been to Kurumba?

Have been looking at spending 25th wedding anniversary in maldives and fancy kurumba resort in north atol. Would be grateful for any info re the quality of resort. Want everything to be perfect. Have read it is close to male and not very remote. How bad is it? Lots of noise and tankers or just occassional. Is the accommodation luxurious. Be grateful for help. Big decision to make.

netherlands
Level Contributor
215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone been to Kurumba?

Saromadoc,

I visited Kurumba last summer and had a thoroughly nice time. I haven't (yet) been to any of the other islands though so I'm afraid I can't give you comparisons.

The accommodation is very nice (stayed in a deluxe bungalow) and the island is well kept.

On the whole the restaurants were very good and the staff were very friendly. The dive school was a particular highlight for me, the staff were fantastic (although the reception staff were not always as helpful as you would expect).

You do notice that the airport is close, but the occassional aircraft passing by did not bother me in the slightest.

I am sure that if you go to Kurumba you will have a fantastic holiday - but be warned, one trip to the Maldives and you won't want to go anywhere else for your holidays!

Hope this helps.

netherlands
Level Contributor
215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone been to Kurumba?

Saromadoc,

I visited Kurumba last summer and had a thoroughly nice time. I haven't (yet) been to any of the other islands though so I'm afraid I can't give you comparisons.

The accommodation is very nice (stayed in a deluxe bungalow) and the island is well kept.

On the whole the restaurants were very good and the staff were very friendly(although the reception staff were not always as helpful as you would expect). The dive school was a particular highlight for me, the staff were fantastic.

You do notice that the airport is close, but the occassional aircraft passing by did not bother me in the slightest.

I am sure that if you go to Kurumba you will have a fantastic holiday - but be warned, one trip to the Maldives and you won't want to go anywhere else for your holidays!

Hope this helps.

U.K.
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone been to Kurumba?

Hi Saro,

We have been to the Maldives several times to different islands and Kurumba remains my wife's favourite (my choice would be Hakura).

It is more developed than some of the other islands but the biggest plus, for us, was the choice of restaurants (French, Indian and Chinese as well as the main restaurant, when we were there).

It is close to the airport which is handy after a long flight. You can be swimming within an hour of landing (pack swimwear in your hand luggage). We hardly noticed the occasional plane and there was no noise from tankers.

If you are interested in diving then, from my experience, the further you travel from the airport the better it gets. Meemu atoll was unbelievable for marine life.

The accomodation was of a good standard and the service excellent. As people have said previously it really does depend on what experience you are after. If you want a "Robinson Crusoe" experience then Kurumba is not for you but if you want a conveniently located island with a good choice of restaurants then maybe it is.

Padi

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone been to Kurumba?

Hi Saromadoc ... I've stayed on Kurumba and Padi is correct, if you want the Robinson Crusoe effect then Kurumba is not for you.

It is close to Male (10-20 mins by boat to the airport) and you do see and hear the occasional plane go over but it is not that bad. No tankers or heavy water traffic. The accommodation is ok, all depends on what you really want from your holiday. There are a wide choice of restaurants but they can be a bit pricey if you are intending to dinearound. www.kurumba.com is a good site if you have not looked ... activegirl