We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is summer island like ?

Which Male hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London GB
1 post
Save Topic
what is summer island like ?

Going to the maldives for the first time in febuary, and have found a good deal for summer island the only thing is i cant seem to find it listed anywhere except for one brochure, can anyone tell me more.

Derby, England
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is summer island like ?

Try holidays-uncovered.co.uk, a very good site for visitor forums

wiltshire uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is summer island like ?

Hi Vicki, well i am going to summer island in April for a week i hope you enjoy your time there i have reads the reviews and it seems very relaxed, let me know, debi

england
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what is summer island like ?

Hi vicki. I have just asked about this resort and spotty dog replied to me and by all accounts it doesnt seem very good at all. For example he said that when he went the towels smelt damp and the staff wernt very friendly. Sorry

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is summer island like ?

I'm actually female but I guess spottydog could be either :)

We went to Summer Island at the end of November as I found what I thoughtt was a good deal.

Unfortunately the bungalows looked like they were last refurbished in the 70's and some people got a room (the really unlucky got bungalow 73 or 74 which didn't even get a view).

The island is suffering heavily from erosion and some foundations are exposed, there is also pipework that they haven't even bothered burying.

The service was unbelievably bad (except for all the staff at the divecentre who were wonderful). Service (if you can call it that) was normally with a scowl.

The food all seemed to taste the samea dnwhen one day there was nothing vegetarian except plain rice we had to shout to get something for my other half. Afternoon tea consisted of the sort of sandwiches they couldn't give away 20 years ago. Luckily the island shop sell chocolate bar & pringles.

The rooms all had a lot of cockroaches & we bought one home with us in our suitcase so watch out on your return.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

england
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what is summer island like ?

Sorry spottydog 4 calling you a boy. my hubby says you should be called spottybitch (not an insult but a female dog.) I think va few have been put of summer island

england
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what is summer island like ?

Sorry spottydog 4 calling you a boy. Looks like summer island is not a good place to go to. Good job you told us

nice france
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: what is summer island like ?

after saw you're post, i'm not sure if it's a good deal for going there.....

can you tell me more about this island ?

gab

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what is summer island like ?

I'm not sure what else I can say but we were very dissapointed by Summer Island. We booked a 2 week trip there for November last year. I knew there wasn't a house reef but expected to do all boat diving and weren't to bothered as I knew the fish would still swim in the lagoon (which they do). The island was not cleaned as regularly as it could have been which meant that some rubbish ended up blown into the sea which was unpleasant. They have a fair amount of pipwork which was not buried, this to me is laziness rather than everything else. The restaurant one night managed only plain rice for vegetarians, we had to shout at the waiter and chef to get an omlette so my other half could have some dinner. Afternno tea consisted of stewed tea and coffee and sandwiches and broken biscuits on large plates covered with fly nets, the biscuits were generally stale and the sandwiches generally egg & tuna only.

Over the 2 weeks or bed was not tunred down once and we never had any flowers put in it. Due to the dampness in the bathroom the (small, rough, bleach spotted) towels were constantly wet and smelly even when they were supposed to be fresh.

all the rooms looked like they were last built or refurbished in the 70's although I gather some were only built about 7 years ago. THere were no drawers in the room & only a wardrobe with hangers that were broken and had obvilously been left behind by other guests. The wardrobe had a curtain rather than a door. The rooms had no spare pillows or bed covers and the only lights in the room were towards the front which meant 2 people could not see to read on the double bed at the same time.

All the rooms seemed to have cockroaches which got everywhere.

At the bar there was no table service, most the time the bar staff (all Sri Lankan rather than Maldivian) gave the impression that you were getting in their way. Tea/coffee was only available in the all inclusive at the restaurant during meal times.

Candlelight dinner on the beach for honeymooners consisted of a bar table with a candle in a water bottle and serve yourself from the buffet.

One of the couples we met were put in a room rather than a bungalow. They asked to be moved and were told the only available bungalow was the one without a sea view down an alley despite the reception saying 6 bungalows were available to upgrade to at extra cost. With the ground floor rooms it is also possible for passers by to see into the bathroom!

wiltshire uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what is summer island like ?

hi vicki just wondering what your holiday to summer island was like??? hope you enjoyed yourself debi

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
139 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what is summer island like ?

Hi vicki did you go to Summer Island what did you think of it we were there in may 2002 and thought it lovely they were very friendly everything very clean but not luxurious but it was only 3* would love to here what you thought as we were thinking of going back but not sure after reading some of the reveiws