We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

Hello,

This is probably a stupid question, I am due to travel to KL for my first ever time in Asia next month. I have just read that the UK and Australia have raised it's terrorism threat for Malaysia as high.

Has anyone noticed a difference, or have recently been who could share advise? Just a little bit worried.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,001 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

The threat level from international terrorism in the United Kingdom is currently ranked severe.

As a Malaysian, it wouldn't stop me from visiting London if I wanted to.

Unfortunately terrorism is a fact of life everywhere in the world nowadays.

Up to you if you decide that it is safer not to travel anywhere and stay at home. Life goes on as usual here in Malaysia.

Mentioned in this post
UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

I too have booked my flight into KL for May and my thoughts are that of Jadamros. Unfortunately this is a global situation that cannot be avoided now even if one does stay at home. My home county of Norfolk is one of the safer places in the UK, yet recently 2 would be terrorists were found guilty of planning attacks at our nearby RAF bases. As an avid traveller I have been lucky to return from countries where bombs have gone off before such as Bali, India, Gun shootings in Sri Lanka, Africa. Its a worry for sure but an inevitable part of life today, sadly. As usual, I will travel as guardedly as one can be, starting with London on high alert at all times, through Dubai and onto KL. Stopping there before onwards to Sydney (also suffered from same). Staying home being paralysed by fear is giving in to them. Enjoy your travel being as careful as its feasibly possible to be. Enjoy life.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

I was there a week ago. A friend there in defence told me to be careful.

I did see a number of military with guns around certain points.

To be honest I felt if something was to happen, would probably be Chinese New Year and all was fine.

Terrorism has changed the world and I would have missed many a wonderful trip to Malaysia and Indonesia had I stayed at home in fear.

I go and proceed with caution.

Mentioned in this post
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

don't let the idiots win....

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

You have seen a number of military personal with guns...So...I have seen armed personal at Heathrow, and also at Changi. Some posters will fail to remember or were not born to witness the protection ring around the City of London during the IRA bombings. Plenty of Armed officers were on show then.

Definitely there are idiots; listen to the latest USA news, but also there are people with real grievances and axes to grind.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
26,155 posts
2,206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

this was in an Australian paper.

smh.com.au/world/australia-issues-security-a…

I will be pressing on with my trip at easter. These "idiots" are worldwide now. Even in Australia, Melbourne and Sydney are prime examples.

Tommo

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

The official Australian Government travel advice for Malaysia is "Exercise normal safety precautions" except for coastal areas of Eastern Sabah where it is "reconsider you need to travel"

smartraveller.gov.au/countries/malaysia

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

There are groups of police and armed soldiers walking around certain areas, so they are trying to show they are doing something!

9. Re: FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 pm, February 23, 2016
Edited: 5:21 pm, February 23, 2016
10. Re: FCO Terrorism Threat Raised

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 pm, February 23, 2016