We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport - Time needed to change

9 posts
Save Topic
Airport - Time needed to change

Hello,

I have a flight from London that should land at 16:05 at the Kuala Lumpur Airport with British Airways. Then I should take a flight to Kuantan with Malaysia airlines : there are 2 options one flight at 18:35 and one at 22:05.

As I don't want to take any risk I have booked the flight at 22:05 and I've asked to Malaysia if I could switch my ticket if I arrive on time, they said it was possible.

Do you think, if my first flight is not delayed, that I can : get my lugage, go through the customs, go to a Malaysia airlines office at the airport to switch my ticket, and then take tje 18:35 flight ?

It seems pretty ambitious to me but maybe ? Do you know if British airways and Malaysia airlines are at the same terminal ? (KLIA 1 or KLIA2 ?)

Thank you very much :)

1. Re: Airport - Time needed to change

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:42 am, July 29, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport - Time needed to change

Are you sure about that Tommo....I thought BA was at KLIA, and Malaysia Airlines is showing up as frequenting both???

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport - Time needed to change

Both are at KLIA not KLIA2. MH & British Airways will land/depart from KLIA.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport - Time needed to change

#3 is right. Both airlines operate from KLIA1.

2.5 hours is enough time for a international-domestic transfer.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
26,820 posts
2,227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport - Time needed to change

Sorry I mean to say KLIA1. KLIA2 is for the budget carriers. Ill remove my post so as to not confuse.

Tommo

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,730 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport - Time needed to change

BA use Malaysia Airlines for the flights from KL to Kuantan so they should be able to thru ticket you and your luggage at check in. You might want to confirm this with BA. If it is the case you'll be able to get the earlier flight. Even if you made your own bookings as two separate flights it should still be possible as the details should show up on their system at check-in.

9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport - Time needed to change

Many thanks to all of you for your reply.

I've just called British Airways, they said it is not possible but... the language skill of my interlocutor was very very low. So I decided to ask again by mail. I reply here as soon as I get the answer :)

Edited: 10:47 am, July 29, 2015
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport - Time needed to change

Hi,

as BA does not offer check thru to KUA (only to PEN) from LHR, guess your flight itinerary are on two tickets (two PNRs).

Both BA and MH, to reaffirm operates from KLIA1 - also known as KLIA-Terminal M.

The thing is BA flight will taxi at apron at satellite terminal, then you need to take an aerotrain from the satellite to contact pier then to the main terminal building for immigration and baggage retrieval and customs before going back in for boarding gate in contact pier for your flight to KUA.

As both airlines are of ONeWorld Alliance, possibly when you check in at LHR, see if agent is able to interline and reendorse your KUA ticket to reduce your layover time in KUL.

BA check thru from LHR to PEN,also has one CT at just over 2 hours (2hrs 15min to be exact) with BA33 (your LHR to KUL).

9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport - Time needed to change

They told me I couldn't :(

Thanks for your reply everybody.

10. Re: Airport - Time needed to change

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 01, 2016