We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

I plan to use the rail and monorail systems in KL to get around and am a bit worried as I have read that one has to purchase separate tickets for different lines and often the exchange train stations are in separate buildings.

I would appreciate any advice / insight into this.

Thank you.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,590 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

There is some truth in what you say, but it isn't really something to worry too much about. Just go with the flow and you'll quickly get the hang of it.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
449 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

Hello. All lrt, ktm komuter and monorail are already interlink. You can just use touch n go card and no separate ticket needed.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,932 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

HI

You make something that is really easy to do a big deal. You can buy a combined ticket for rail and monorail www.myrapid.com.my/tickets-fares/lrt-monorail but buying individual tickets is very, very, very easy. You just go to the counter pay your couple of ringitt and get the ticket.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

Hello Evelyn, using Myrapid card or individually purchasing tokens is really easy, & the sites where there is a monorail & a LRT are linked by pedestrian walkways & bridges. You will be fine.

Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

I thank all of you for your replies and reassurance.

The touch n go card seems like a good idea - I think I will go that route.

Good to know that the monorail and LRT stations are linked by walkways and bridges.

Being an older woman travelling solo, I like to get as much information as possible regarding getting around using public transport when travelling to places that are new to me. I am not comfortable travelling alone in a taxi in unfamiliar cities. However, I do enjoy visiting new cities once I do my research. I guess that is just me:)

Edited: 12:32 pm, October 10, 2013
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

No Evelyn it's not just you. My next trip I'm joining my husband on a golf trip with his mates. Needless to say he will be playing golf most of the time, leaving me to explore KL on my own (which I am looking forward to)

& of course lots & lots of shopping. I too have been doing lots of research so I will feel more comfortable on my own in areas outside of Bukit Bintang. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

I can't stand using public transport in Melbourne because I find it frustrating linking the trams in with train timetables and knowing where everything is going etc. However, KL public transport is very simple to use and we frequently travel on it. THe walkways between stations are easy to navigate, the system is clean and it's cheap. We now use it in rather than teksis a lot of the tiem now.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
104 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

HI we are in KL at moment and all stations are ok to link except KL Sentral to monorail because of, building work but still only a short walk to connect. We just buy tickets or tokens as we need them as v cheap. Been to pulau ketam (crab island) today Total cost for LRT then KTM then ferry and back was only 16 MYR. Hope of some help.

Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

Thank you, Sarah, it is nice to know you feel the same way I do, and for your good wishes.

As well, l thank you BigA81, and windynook for your very helpful replies.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using the Rail and Monorail Systems - A couple of Questions

The Light Rail system and Monorail are two different systems but they take you to most of the sights/shopping in KL. KTM Computer will take you from KL Sentral to the big shopping centres at Mid Valley . KTM is a pain, an unreliable system, with long waiting time - up to half an hour - under KL Sentral. However, it delivers you to Mid Valley. The LRT is brilliant, trains arriving every six minutes, without fail - a fully automated and driverless system - from KL Sentral to Pasar Seni, Chinatown, in minutes and ten minutes to KLCC. The Monorail goes through the tourist centre of Bukit Bintang, trains coming not as often, stations without escalators, and on to Chow Kit. Your hotel will have a map of the train lines. Unfortunately, the train systems were doled out in such a way that there is, perhaps, five minutes walking between stations. However, once you get to know which stations sort of connect you make do. To get from LRT Masjid India to Sogo, for instance, requires a 500 metre walk to connect. I do NOT use taxis in KL. I do use trains AND buses. Cheap and clean. Buy a card or have small change.