We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

I'm flying with AirAsia X from Kuala Lumpur to Osaka.

On my recent international flights within SEA with AirAsia I never had problems and also took liquids of above 100ml in the carry-on. I am wondering how strict they are on flights to Japan?

Does anyone has experiences with that and is willing to share those?

Thank you!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,762 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

Hi

The regulations on the 100ml will depend on the airline. Obviously, Air Asia didno't consider it an issue with your recent flights, their website says different . . . http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do;jsessionid=63A0894AC1B67748CE1BE3720EC643EC.tomcat1?id=339

If your recent flights were domestic (ie within Malaysia) they are much more relaxed, but not for international flights.

It is ok to buy duty free over 100ml once you are airside!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

The 100ml is not an airline rule nor an airline decision. It is the security personnel at whatever airport and the degree to which they do or do not strictly enforce the rule by assessing the size of liquid containers they see either on xray or on visual inspection.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
934 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

Suria B, I have just returned from Malaysia on Air Asia X and agree with above, it is security personnel at customs that decide, as we were going through security prior to departure they were telling people with plastic bottles of water to either drink the water or throw the bottle in the rubbish bin, all bags are scanned, laptops are to be taken out and placed seperately on belt, once airside we had no problems taking bottles of water onto our flight home. if its more than 100ml put it in your checked luggage otherwise I think you will lose it at security.

Have a safe flight

Yarrawonga...
Level Contributor
492 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

Can you drink your duty free on the flight? Thinking of buying one of the small bottles of Baileys to drink on the plane.

Mandie_8

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
934 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

I think it is illegal to open and consume duty free alcohol onboard an aircraft, I am sure airlines would be against passengers opening 1.25 litre bottles of spirits and getting sloshed on board.

I recently returned on Air Asia X from K/L and bought a couple of miniature bottles of scotch at 12myr each on board. you might try buying some miniature baileys somewhere, they would be under the 100ml limit so you could carry them in your carry on luggage and providing you are discreet you probably would not come to the attention of the cabin staff.

Also I am sure you can only buy 1.25lt baileys duty free.

Yarrawonga...
Level Contributor
492 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

Thanks but I did say small bottle of Bailey's and yes you can buy it duty free at Melbourne Airport for $7.99 a bottle.

Mandie_8

Edited: 10:58 pm, August 24, 2013
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,838 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

The 100ml rule is an airport security requirement, not the airline requirement. The Liquids, Aerosols and Gels (L.A.G.'s) rule came about after some nutter tried to create a bomb on board a flight using ingredients disguised as bottled water, etc. If you are happy with people smuggling their own bigger than 100ml bottled water on flights, by all means to do so as well. Personally i would prefer strict enforcement of this rule by airport security for my own safety.

As for the airline, strictly speaking Air Asia has a NO outside food and beverage policy. They of course would want you to buy only their meals, which is the reason for the policy.

However seen lots of people bring their own snacks on board, and as long as you are not too overt about it in front of the F.A.'s, people have been getting away with it.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

I recently when departing from KL, had to dispose of a bottle of water at the check in gate, and then I purchased another in the departure lounge so I could take my travel sickness pills, and had this taken off me as well when I went through the security gate. They also took two bottles of packaged unopened body lotion and perfume that I had packed in my hand luggage.

They were extremely strict and xrayed all bags to check.

Perth
Level Contributor
457 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

All flights from KL you go through security and they are the ones who check the 100mls We always travel carryon only and even last week were stopped in KL and they actually checked to see the size of a tube of toothpaste.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,608 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How strict is AirAsia X regarding the hand-luggage?

Wow! They checked your toothpaste? How draconian was that? On second thoughts, unfortunately there might be somebody somewhere in the world with the idea of doing a major mischief on an aircraft using a tube of innocent looking toothpaste. Therefore, let's all put up with dirty teeth and smelly breath for the sake of safety.