We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia Malaysia - overcharging

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Expedia Malaysia - overcharging

I recently booked 4 return tickets (2 bookings) from Malaysia to USA through expedia, it was a Malaysian site, so charges was in Malaysian Ringgit.

Gosh, when I received my credit card statement, the actual charges was higher than that quoted and printed on the receipt.

I contacted the bank and was told that Expedia claimed their charges in USD, ALTHOUGH IT WAS EXPLICITLY AND DEFINITELY QUOTED IN THEIR FINAL CHARGES THAT THE TOTAL CHARGES WAS ALREADY CHARGED TO MY CARDS IN RINGGIT.

So, it seemed that that Expedia will definitely make extra money by charging in USD if USD IS stronger and charges in local currencies it USD is weaker, which is definitely a way of ripping off their customers.

found this in the web:

…typepad.com/my_weblog/…expediacom-pric.html

Does any one have any such experience with Expedia?

I had done many bookings with Expedia before, but this definitely put me off, looks like its kind of tough even to believe in such established name nowadays!

It appears they don't only scam their customers, but are also involved in price fixing to rip off their customers:

reuters.com/article/2012/08/21/uk-hotels-law…

Looks like we better avoid Expedia in the future!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Expedia Malaysia - overcharging

Heres a link to the forum

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_T…

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Expedia Malaysia - overcharging

MH doesn't fly KUL/JFK or EWR (they used to some years ago but it got canned like a few other destinations). SQ flies this route. Perhaps TG too? You could always check kayak.com but book your flights with the airline.

As Danuta advised, you could post your question on the Air Travel forum.

13. Re: Expedia Malaysia - overcharging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 22, 2014