We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Batu Caves & Elephant Sanctuary

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Batu Caves & Elephant Sanctuary

We are thinking of hiring a driver like CK and doing a private tour of the caves & sanctuary. Is it feasable to do these on the same day or are they in different directions? I would really appreciate some advice!

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
679 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Batu Caves & Elephant Sanctuary

hi pandabennette. we did the trip with CK a couple of years ago

First the caves, then the deer santuary, then the elephants CK also managed to let us ride the elephants out of the river and up the hill. It was a long day but amazing to be so close to the elephants. I was also able to feed a baby elephant a bottle. A long day travelling but well worth it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Batu Caves & Elephant Sanctuary

Hi KEVLOVESJULES,

Thanks for your feedback, sorry for the delay in replying, have been interstate. As one of our group would really love to see the elephants I think this is the day trip we will make. Is the deer sanctuary worth a visit?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Batu Caves & Elephant Sanctuary

Panda it is an awesome day out to the elephants IMO you would not regret it. Even though I love Melaka as well I think your first plans would be much better.

I am one of those who really likes Batu Caves as I find it interesting and such a beautiful view from the top as well as the cultural aspects. It is a hard slog up the steps but well worth it. Only thing is do not feed the monkeys here they become a little overzealous. It also has some great cheap food stalls down the bottom.

When we did our trip with CK he took us to the Batu caves, then deer park then the elephants. It was one of my favourite days especially as CK lets you be flexible in how long you stay etc so with the elephants most people had left when they bought the baby elephants back and we were able to feed one bananas I had bought from the hotel. The little baby one kept stretching its trunk like it was trying to kiss me - was so cute! And I would only recommend a place were I believe they are doing a great conservation job and not exploiting these animals - which IMO they are really good.

Editing just to say - I thought the deer park was worth the visit. They certainly seem to care about the animals but it isn't all pretty like our zoos etc. They like the sanctuary rely heavily on donations and entrance fees to maintain there work,

Edited: 9:42 pm, February 23, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Batu Caves & Elephant Sanctuary

Hi jacks24, thanks for your advice. We have contacted CK and he is busy on the day we have requested but Susan assures me that we would be just as happy with the replacement driver. Due to time constraints we were going to give the deerpark a miss, however I believe we cannot go to the elephant sanctuary until around 1:45pm so maybe we will get to it after all. We were hoping for an earlier entry and to be back in KL by around 4:30 but I think this is not possible.

Thanks for the heads up on the monkeys, saw monkeys in Bali years ago & they were a little overwhelming!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Batu Caves & Elephant Sanctuary

The other option is Razali - he does take people there in the morning as he is actually part of the sanctuary but not sure he could get you back by 430pm. maybe give him an email on jungletrekker69@gmail.com to find out

The elephants don't actually come out till round 2pm so 430 back to KL would mean you probably miss out on a bit and it's around peak hour then so you wouldnt necessarily have long with the elephants.

My most favourite thing was feeding them for about an hour - they look like they are smiling all the time :D

Actually I hate those macaque monkeys since I was a RAAF brat in Penang for a few years however CK also does the firefly tour which includes monkey hill and these are the most beautiful silver leaf monkeys ever - really gentle - they are probably my favourite animal in Malaysia with elephants being close :D

16. Re: Batu Caves & Elephant Sanctuary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 26, 2014