We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

Silly question, but we have a 4 hour lay over at KLIA - arrving and departing Terminal M with Malaysia Air. I am guessing that is Main Terminal. I was toying with trying to catch an hour or so's sleep at the Air Transit Hotel which is in the Satellite Terminal. How long does it take to get between the two - roughly? I realise it may not even be worthwhile.

33 replies to this topic
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,812 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

HI

Not a silly question at all.

KLIA is referred to Terminal M oon Malaysian tickets.

The Satelite building is one of the 2 buildings that make up Terminal M. You don't say where you are flying in from and where to, but assume that you are coming in from LHR to your flight will arrive into the Satelite building (as it is where the wide bodied jets stand). If you are flying out long haul with Malaysian (ie AUS) then you will also fly out of the Satelite building. Domestic Malaysian airline flights (Penang etc) normally leave from the Main building of KLIA.

You can get between the Satelite building and the Main building (where immigration / passport control is) by the aerotrain that takes 3mins tops, maybe 5 if you have to wait for the next aerotrain.

It is unlikely you need to change buildings in KLIA terminal

this link will clear it all up! klia.com.my/index.php/…129.html

Good luck in getting a bed at the transit hotel, normally booked!!

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

Thanks for the great reply. Helps loads. Yes arriving from LHR and then on to Auckland. Not going till November so just working out options at moment.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,812 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

Hi

Yes, it will all be via the Satelite building at Terminal M / KLIA!

have fun!

Hamilton, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

Hi,

Sorry to ask a question you probably get asked often but I cannot find an answer to it.

We are flying in to Kuala Lumpur International Apt, Malaysia

Sat, 07 Dec 2013

07:25

Terminal: M on Malaysia Airlines and leaving 10 hours later from Terminal: M on Malaysia Airlines. My question is where is Terminal M, do we have to go through immigration and as we are on a British and South African Passport do we need a visa? I do hope not as it may be a bit late now. We are flying from New Zealand to Phuket and returning via Bangkok in January also through terminal M.

We are booked into the Airside Transit Hotel. If I am looking at the maps of the airport correctly this means we would have to leave one terminal to get to the Satellite building, Again would we need a visa to do this?

Many thanks for your help

Sue

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,812 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

@ Sue

never be afraid to ask a new question, rather than hijack such an old one. The OP will now get an email to say their post has been updated, whereas you won't! It helps you know what is going on.

However, the answer to most of your questions is in my replies above . . . and are in the FAQs -->

but to answer your questions

Terminal: M on Malaysia Airlines and leaving 10 hours later from Terminal: M on Malaysia Airlines. My question is where is Terminal M,

A] Terminal M is KLIA and is made up of the Main building and the satellite building. They are connected by a little railway called the aerotain. You clear immigration and checks in the main building and depart international flights from the satellite building. This link may help klia.com.my/index.php/…129.html. As a rule, wide bodied planes, like the one you will get from or to NZ will arrive / depart from the satellite building and narrowed bodied planes, that are likely to be used for UKT or BKK, will use the Main building.

do we have to go through immigration

A] unless you want to you will not clear immigration

and as we are on a British and South African Passport do we need a visa?

A] no, should you wish to clear immigration as a UK and SA passport holder you will be give a 90 day permit to stay.

We are booked into the Airside Transit Hotel. If I am looking at the maps of the airport correctly this means we would have to leave one terminal to get to the Satellite building,

A] this is incorrect both the main and satellite building are the same terminal. The transit hotel, or SamaSama Express as it is now called, is in the satellite building it takes only minutes to get there from the main building.

Again would we need a visa to do this?

A] you won't cross immigration and you don't need a visa

As questions similar to yours get asked just about daily we have set up some Top Questions FAQs in the right panel part of this screen. Everyone forgets or misses the Top or Frequently Asked Questions/FAQs [especially if using smart phones], which are packed with lots of really great information about lots of really useful information!! If you are accessing TA via the smart phone app’ you won’t see the very informative Green banner or the FAQs in the normal app view on your phone, so suggest that you view the app it as full site mode / desk top view; or just use a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages, you may have to click on ‘show more’ to reveal the full list!

-----> ----> ---> --> ->

you will find the Top questions about KUALA LUMPUR and the FAQs which can give a lot of the information you will need to answer your questions [and probably a bit more], in particular ---->

-- AIRPORT INFORMATION --

-> FAQ Transiting at KUL KLIA tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298570-i7008-k3… (Yes it is an old post but still relevant!)

-> FAQ Visa for Malaysia tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293951-c142389/Mal…

Have fun and enjoy Phuket!

Edited: 2:15 am, November 27, 2013
Hamilton, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

Thanks for your reply it has put my mind at ease :)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

im sorry,i got one more question.my mom has a connection flight in klia airoport.shes getting from dubai to KL ,and then KL to phuket.arriving from dubai to klia (emirates airline),and then from terminal M fly to phuket (malaisian airlines).waiting time 2hr.does this terminals connected?is it the same building?is it far from each other?or its very easy just to follow the sign.she need to trevel by train,how its going to be?cuz she doesnt speak any english.can she get it done by herself?thanks

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,812 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

@ iraplek never be afraid to ask a new question, rather than hijack such an old one. The OP will now get an email to say their post has been updated, whereas you won't! It helps you know what is going on.

However, the answer to most of your questions is in my replies above . . . and are in the FAQs -->

but to answer your questions (which have already been answered in the previous posts too . . .)

my mom has a connection flight in klia airoport.shes getting from dubai to KL , ,and then KL to phuket.arriving from dubai to klia (emirates airline),and then from terminal M fly to phuket (malaisian airlines).waiting time 2hr.does this terminals connected?

A] Satelite A is part of terminal M. The Satelite and the Main building are the the 2 buildings that make up Terminal M. Your mum be arriving into the Satelite building (as it is where the wide bodied jets stand and it is likely she will be flying out of the Main building of KLIA.

is it the same building?

A] same terminal

is it far from each other?

A] no

or its very easy just to follow the sign.she need to trevel by train,how its going to be?

A] yes very easy. You can get between the Satelite building and the Main building (where immigration / passport control is) by the aerotrain that takes 3mins tops, maybe 5 if you have to wait for the next aerotrain

cuz she doesnt speak any english.can she get it done by herself?

A] There are many signs in various languages, and she can always ask for help.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

4 hours is plenty of time for shopping

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?

hi may i know address location for Terminal M

Reply to: Terminal M at KLIA to Satellite A - how long does it take?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted