We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in KL close to night markets, twin towers, restaurants

Hobart, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Hotel in KL close to night markets, twin towers, restaurants

Can anyone recommend a good 4 or 5 star hotel close to transport, night markets and restaurants in KL?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in KL close to night markets, twin towers, restaurants

Hey Bexter

KL is not a really large city compared to some. The best area to base yourself is in Bukit Bintang. This is the hub of activity in KL and many choices of 4 and 5 star hotels. Personally the 2 we like are The Grand Millennium and The Royale Chulan. Both offer good value and location. Many other good hotels as well like The Westin , The Ritz and Shangri La. Have a look at the reviews and facilities on both this site and others and see if you can picture yourself there. Compare the value and things like pools etc if you enjoy a morning swim. Overall lots of choices but most importantly try and get some where close to the action in Bukit Bintang. Have fun.

Sean

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,208 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in KL close to night markets, twin towers, restaurants

The night markets I assume you mean are Chinatown (Petaling St) I wouldnt recommend that you stay in this area. I agree with Shaun to base yourself in Bukit Bintandg where some of the best shopping and restos are based.

Get a cab or monorail to the night markets. A taxi will ask for 15RM to go from BB to Chinatown and a lot less if they use the meter.

Tommo

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in KL close to night markets, twin towers, restaurants

I recommend Bukit Bintang, it is in city center and there are lots of restaurants and shops, also train and monorail. It is closed to Petronas Twin Towers and you can travel to other places like China Town and Sunway Lagoon.

ParkRoyal is good hotel in very city center, I think it is 4 stars if not mistaken. I like Istana Hotel, it is always my favourite. This hotel is 5 stars, they have really good afternoon tea and breakfast. You can also get room with Petronas Towers view, very nice and big.

hoteltrip.com/hotel/10030014-10207285O.html

http://www.hotelistana.com.my/

parkroyalhotels.com/en/…index.html

orbitz.com/hotel/Malaysia/Kuala_Lumpur/Istan…

Cheers,

Mini

Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in KL close to night markets, twin towers, restaurants

I have always stayed in Bukit Bintang, there are many options, I really enjoyed the location of Melia... This hotel was quite cheap, had great breakfast, staff and rooms. I would ask to be on a non smoking floor. Lately we have been staying with a bed and breakfast, half the price, around the corner of Melia, but room standards are clean but not as luxurious as hotel. Real benefit is having a house and being able to fit more people. Try Sarang galloway.

Ampang
Level Contributor
2 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in KL close to night markets, twin towers, restaurants

Hi Bexter,

Most tourist prefer to stay in Bukit Bintang.

Restaurants:

Here you can find plenty of restaurants serving mediterranean cuisine, chinese food, indian food, as well as the local malay delicacies.

Shopping:

Bukit Bintang Plaza & Sungai Wang Plaza - Shopping malls selling various clothing line with reasonable price. But not all are branded items.

Lot 10 - Malls selling branded items.

Low Yat Plaza & Imbi Plaza - Selling computers and telephone gadgets and electrical items.

Berjaya TImes Square - THe concept is a mixture of Lot 10 and Sungai Wang Plaza i would say.

Pavillion - Favourite hangout place these days. You can find lots of restaurants and branded items in here.

Hotels:

ParkRoyal, Grand Millennium, JW Marriot, Melia Kuala Lumpur, Berjaya Times Square Hotel (Above the mall), Royale Bukit Bintang, Ritz Carlton, Federal Hotel, Dorset Regency, Radius Hotel. These are hotels within walking distance from BB. However, Istana Hotel as mentioned earlier is a bit outer, but is close to Pavillion, within 5 minutes walk.

There are plenty of B&B hotel in this area.

Public Transport:

Bus, taxi, monorail. There are plenty of complaints re taxi drivers not using the meters. It sometimes happened to the locals as well.

Ambience:

Very hectic. Busy area during the day. Safety - do take care of your belongings. Somewhere in the streets, is the prostitution spot. So careful if you have kids along. Spa and massage parlour are everywhere here. The ambience during the day, at night and saturday night can be different here.

Distance from KLCC:

less than 10 minutes driving (without traffic). Taxi fare will cost less than rm10, it can even be RM5. but they will ask u RM15, there were cases of them asking for RM50. so dun go beyond RM10 from Bukit BIntang (BB) to KLCC (Twin Tower).

Alternatively, take the monorail, drop off at Jln Sultan Ismail (Concorde Hotel). From here, either take a walk to KLL (approx 10minutes walk) or go across the road, take the Putra LRT to KLCC. Only 1 station.

Night Market:

If Petaling St (PS) you r referring to, it is approx 5-10 minutes drive from BB (heading towards Pudu if you r taking the cab. Some drivers will use the meter but they will take a different route which is farther and may cost you RM20-30.)

There are other night markets - more traditional markets (pasar malam) selling food and other stuffs. This could not be found anywhere near BB. You need to go to residential areas, but it is on selected nights unlike PS which is everyday.

Distance PS from KLCC: 20minutes if no traffic. You can take the Star LRT at Pudu Station, and drop off at Masjid India station. Then Change to Putra LRT and head to KLCC. Putra and Star LRT is a separate system. so you need to buy separate tickets over the machine or counter. Or walk towards Central Market, hop on the Putra LRT straight to KLCC.

There is a hop-on-hop-off bus service in kl. you may refer here -> http://www.myhoponhopoff.com/

Alternative:

Close to KLCC: Maya Hotel, Mandarin Oriental, Traders Hotel, Impiana Hotel.

Close to PS: Ancasa Hotel & Spa, Mirama Hotel (approx 5-10 minutes walk to PS).

Hope the above helps.

Penisular Malaysia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in KL close to night markets, twin towers, restaurants

@nazzer

The LRT system is now fully integrated. There is no need to purchase seperate ticket at the interchange station.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,422 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in KL close to night markets, twin towers, restaurants

HI

I would stay at Bukit Bintang as others have suggested! So many hotels to suit all budgets!

You are walking to Petronas Towers, have so many shops / malls / restaurants around the BB area, and are a short monorail ride / walk to Chinatown for the nightly Petaling Street Market.

http://www.myrapid.com.my/rail/routes

http://www.tourism.gov.my/en/PDF-Viewer?pdf=b8f5bf2a&title=Kuala%20Lumpur%20Malaysia's%20Dazzling%20Capital%20City&language=English

You won't go far wrong with the Park Royal!

f you look in the left hand panel of the page and check out the ‘Travel Guide’ / ‘Inside Guides’ and ‘Things To Do’ which list lots of pointers of what to see and where to go as well as other information like restaurants, and ‘……………..Hotels’ where you see the full range of hotels / apartment rental / B&Bs etc for that area, and you can also sort by budget [and your style] as well as read recent reviews

<---------------------------

then on the right check out FAQs / top questions about . . . . . .

--------------------------->

If you are accessing TA via the smart phone app’ you won't see the FAQs or the left hand panel, so suggest that you view it as full site mode or head to a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages!

Also read JBR / just back reports / trip reports etc or search and read some of the questions already posted in this forum. Lots of really useful information about already posted.

Interesting first post Nazzer!

Ampang
Level Contributor
2 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in KL close to night markets, twin towers, restaurants

@subcon,

sorry for the slight misunderstanding previously and thanks for the update. this may help u also bexter http://www.myrapid.com.my/

9. Re: Hotel in KL close to night markets, twin towers, restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 09, 2014