We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card with data

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sim Card with data

Do any of the local sim cards in Malaysia come with a data allowance?

Dhaka, null...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sim Card with data

Ur right. Unfortunately i used celcom and the data sucked though i was charged upfront!!! Sad!

Dhaka, null...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sim Card with data

Ur right. Unfortunately i used celcom and the data sucked though i was charged upfront!!! Sad!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sim Card with data

mKiaraTravel,

I'll be in KL and Georgetown mostly. Is Maxis/Hotlink still the best option for the Georgetown part?

Thanks

David

Edited: 4:35 pm, March 22, 2013
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Sim Card with data

Hi David, re:post 13- yep.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Sim Card with data

Any ideas on which operators that works on the Perhentian Islands? According to Wikitravel Digi, Celcom and Maxis are working but how about uMobile? Which is the best operator if I´m going to stay in the islands for a longer time, let´s say 10 days?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Sim Card with data

Hi , re post #15, in respect of Umobile, based on experience, there is quite good coverage,but only 2G/.2.5G (there is 3G,but in a very concentrated area), on most parts of Pulau Perhentian Kecil,and only coverage(though not very stable) in western side of Pulau Perhentian Besar..then it goes into domestic roaming(if one has preset one's phone) to Maxis network..but sadly possibly due to their T&C 3G RAN agreement, data is practically very slow...e.g. for YouTube..you will be seeing the blank dark page,and that turning and turning circles,

on some mobile website...still fine,but upload takes momentarily longer.

Signal reception is very poor,and I find it drain device battery power real quick when one goes date with UMobile domestic roaming.

Maxis/Hotlink signal and stability is much better on Pulau Perhentian(based on my Broadband SIM in iPad).

So depending on what device you are using- I will go for Maxis/Hotlink.independently if data will be your main use, but if looking at cost and agreeing for some compromise..you could go for UMobile..but on Pulau Perhentian islands..it is really "piggy back" on Maxis network (drain battery fast)-so decision is at discretion.

For Data, particularly prepaid, I will not be bothered with Celcom....their corporate colour just gives too much blues when you come to using it.

Digi...just for comment..as I also have a line with them...well, when I first knew the yellow man, he was great, but I think he is resting on his laurels...there are occasions (since my last trip back to Malaysia), when am using one of my device with Digi SIM card,and data is slow, or no signal..I will take out my other device with Maxis SIM card..and reliability is there.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Sim Card with data

Re to poster post #15, no hard feelings about Digi...as Digi is under Telenor,and that is Scandinavian..but after Johan Dennelind left Digi (he is a real marketing and strategic guy)..he did great works transforming Digi to a celco..that Malaysians reconsider,as at that time..many just go for Maxis or Celcom.

Johan is of course your countryman,from Sweden ( a academic product from Sweden's Örebro University).

And guess what..Johan is coming back to Malaysia..and Maxis is going to have him.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Sim Card with data

Thank you very much for this information, highly appreciated! I will go for Maxis and/or UMobile then.

Interesting facts about Johan and Digi, I didn´t know that. :)

London
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Sim Card with data

By the way, I was in Malaysia last year for a month, and used Maxis, and was happy with the coverage.

However, I didn't bother with buying a data allowance in the end, because there are so many sources of free wifi everywhere (hotel, Starbucks, McDonalds etc).

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Sim Card with data

May I know if the Maxis coverage is good in Sabah? Had wanted to get celcom but after reading the posts above, I think I better go for another option.