We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

How long could we expect to take to clear immigration and collect baggage at LCCT from an Air Asia X flight from Australia?

I realise that there is no exact answer but some indication would be helpful.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

Immigration can get busy, depending on the number of flights due in at the same time as yours. I always try to sit close to the front of the plane, but they do also open the rear door at LCCT, so do not waste any time getting off the plane and into the immigration line. I was lucky two weeks ago, because when the officials realised how busy it was, they opened some more counters.

Anyway I was out of the airport with my baggage within 30 minutes, but it really is dependent on how busy it is at immigration.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

Hi there,

Yes I think it depends, when we went in december last year I think it was also about 30 minutes and we were cleared through immigration with our bags etc...

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,435 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

AS mentioned, it is really the luck of the draw. Have gone through in 20min and also 90min.

Florida
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

LCCT , if you call it an airport, is the worst anywhere. Aircraft park 6 blocks away. The building looks like an old military warehouse. Immigration lines are a disaster. Took us over an hour to snake through the line with 20 officers working. No information on what documents were needed. All SIM card kiosks are mobbed with people. Once outside it's a complete mob with a combination of people, taxis, touts, buses, and anything else you can think of to obstruct passage. The buses to KL Sentral, including the Skybus, are all a football field away through the mob. Not a pretty sight. Once gotten to the buses try and decide which one is yours or find anyone who knows anything. Once finally on the right bus you can finally relax after a couple of hours of torture. My understanding is that the main airport is pretty nice and that they are building a new LCCT airport. Couldn't happen soon enough.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

Yeah it can be a mixed bag at LCCT. I am convinced that the Immigration Officers there work slower because they are grumpy to not be working in the main KLIA terminal.

A couple of tricks I have found over my time - don't waste time getting to the terminal, be first up out of your seat, gather your belongings and make for the door of the plane. If there are a couple of you travelling, send one to jump in a line and the other to gather the immigration cards (if they didn't hand them out on the plane), fill these out in the que rather than wasting time at the table.

Also - look at the people in the different lines, I always try to pick lines with the fewest families, because "usually" if it is just singles or couples they tend to roll through a bit quicker than families.

Sometimes I have been lucky coming in from Oz, I got through once in about 20 minutes, another time I lost count at around 1.5-2 hours. By the time I got to baggage they had not only turned off the carroselle but dumped all the bags to the side! Seriously a great experience in patience.

LCCT is getting better, the last few times I have been through things were running a bit quicker, during peak times they tend to mobilise staff a litle better.

Something that always made me laugh - in a line once there was at least 40 people waiting and the Official looks at his watch and realised that it must have been lunch or break time, and just got up and walked off. The poor 40 or so people standing in the line were shocked, and had to try and join other lines. Most amusing!

If you budget about an hour and a half you should be fine.

Also the cheapest way out of LCCT is the SkyBus, its only 9RM each person - stops at KL Sentral where from there you can hire a taxi to your hotel. The dodgiest (cheapest) taxis are right there where the bus drops you, or you walk upstairs into the Sentral Terminal and out the main entrance and there are Meter Taxis which are a little better.

Another option is the Transport Desks before you leave the airport, they cost more (I think about AUD$20-$30) from memory, but honestly sometimes it is just easier to get dropped straight to your hotel in a reasonably airconditioned vehicle.

Happy Travels

Ross...

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
15 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

Well better give yourself one hour, but if your lucky, a mere 30 min is enough. I suggest you take the shuttle to KL Sentral, (www.welcome-kl.com/kl-info/arriving-in-kl/) if you plan to go to Kuala Lumpur.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

we did this last week & were out within 45 minutes of arrival. coming from Australia,there are no forms to fill out - going into or out of Lcct(and I presume Malaysia entirely). there are 2 or 3 free sim card stalls once you get into the terminal and we used Tune Talk..had to top up straight away as a condition of the free sim...Australia is approx $0.05 per minute to landline. if you are getting one of the buses to KL Sentral, the best info I can give you is head to the left, past food places, and there is the"bus station" area...this was the hardest part for us...it's an experience...it really is like a big tin shed..we experienced nice immigration officers and staff...you just have to walk for ages to get from and to your plane

Florida
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

Maverick Ross........

The day that my wife and I came into LCCT there were over 20 Immigration Officers at 10 stations. It still took us over an hour to get up to one of those stations. The line snaked around 50 yards long and 10 deep. Getting off the plane quickly would have been of no value.

We had no idea that Malaysian Immigration had done away with the Landing Card requirement, at least for Americans. When I asked the Air Asia FAs for landing cards they just said that they didn't have any available. They never told us we did not need any. Just our passports were required. Made for a tense time waiting in line not knowing.

The Air Asia Skybus does leave from LCCT to KL Sentral. However, the departure point is all the way at the other end of the terminal. You end up pushing you baggage cart through mobs of humanity to get a long way over there. Not a pretty sight.

I would actually advise anyone, who is dead set on flying into LCCT, to immediately upon exiting the baggage claim area. to get a taxi. Forget about buses and all that. A taxi will take you directly to your hotel or place where you are staying. It will cost a few dollars. But, believe me, it's worth it to lessen the aggravation of fighting the mobs, both at LCCT and at KL Sentral, and taking a bus to KL Sentral and then having to also take a taxi from there to your hotel.

Life is too short to keep hitting your head against a brick wall just to find out how much it will hurt.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

I realised that I was probably asking how long is a piece of string when I posted this query.

I am flying into KLIA at 3pm from having visited my daughter in Dublin. My husband is flying into LCCT from Sydney 2 1/2 hours later at 5:30pm. We are then both travelling on to Melaka to begin a 3 week holiday in Malaysia.

My plan was to come across to LCCT and purchase bus tickets to Melaka before he arrived. The bus leaves at 6:30pm. Hence my question as to whether he would make the bus with one hour after he lands to get through immigration and collect his bag. The next bus is at 8pm.

Reading all your replies seems to make it rather risky.

I realise the other option is to take a taxi. Would definitely opt for this if we could be sure that we would not be required to bear the extra expense of a premier taxi. (2 passengers, 2 bags and 2 backpacks)

Ho hum.....what to do......

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AirAsiaX arrival at LCCT

I would take the 8pm. There is no guarantee you will be out with bags and at the bus within an hour....

There is a possibility if you booked for 8pm but were out by 6.30pm they might let you change to the earlier bus (depending on seats being available).

C.