We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

Melbourne
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

Hi guys,

Could anyone give me some budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area? I'm not looking for a guest house nor a 1-2 star hotel, but a hotel like MyHotel@Bukit Bintang is good enough for me. I've checked that hotel, but location wise, it's not that strategic. So are there any other options?

Cheers

Melbourne
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

Hi all,

Something bothers me regarding the location of Melia Hotel. If you guys check Google map with 'melia hotel kuala lumpur' as your query, it gives you different Melia, it is now in the same complex / block as Ritz-Carlton. As far as I know, Melia is supposed to be just across Times Square and Imbi monorail station is at your doorstep, isn't it? So can anyone confirm this?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

Yes it is opposite Times Square.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

Okay, thanks!

Oh and where do I get off for Chinatown? A guy at the monorail ticket booth told me to get off at Maharajalela, but it's quite a tiring walking distance.

Last time I went to KL, I didn't manage to visit The Central Market. I've checked Google Maps and figured out that the location is quite distant from Chinatown, so what is the best way to get there from Chinatown?

Cheers.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

The guy at the monorail station is right but there are other options.

Your other public transport options are:

-to take the monorail 1 stop to Hang Tuah, switch over to the LRT station (also called Hang Tuah) and get off one stop later at Plaza Rakyat.

- FROM Chinatown: take the B112 KL Sentral bus from Kota Raya to Pudu Jail.

Much too confusing, too much mucking around in heat & rain - get the taxi - even with em ripping u off it'll be approx RM10 (AUD3)....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

Thanks for the reply, Shazam.

Wouldn't it be closer to walk from Pasar Seni LRT Station if I was about to take LRT from KL Central?

Yes, I guess it would be hassle free just to get taxi to get to Central Market from Chinatown.

Cheers.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
822 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

From Chinatown (Petaling St) it's probably a 10 min walk to Central Market. Very close and no need to catch a taxi.

If you're coming from KL Sentral via the LRT, then get off at the Pasar Seni station.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

Pasar Seni it is!

Thanks heaps guys!

Cheers.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

Hi people!

Where can I buy the taxi voucher in KL Sentral?

We'll be getting a taxi to Melia Hotel, could anyone suggest the approximate fare?

Cheers.

Philadelphia...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

Are taxi drivers in KL such scam artists that it's really necessary to buy prepaid fixed-price vouchers throughout the city and not just at the airport?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Good and comfortable budget hotels in Bukit Bintang area

No they are not all scam artists. Some just ruin the reputation of others.

Most wont use their meter, but offer a reasonable price, or you bargain with them to a reasonable price.

If you are unsure of what the price should be roughly, getting pre-paid vouchers help, until you get an idea of what prices should be.

The worst spots for scamming by drivers is the hot tourist spots. Especially on the homewards trip, as they know that there are no other taxis around and you need to get back to your hotel. Example. Cost us rm15 to get to Menara Tower, by a taxi that didnt use its meter, that we flagged down. But from the Menara back to the hotel they wanted rm40 and that was by the voucher desk at the Menara. We just walked down the hill and flagged a taxi.

Recently we went to the markets at Chinatown. rm10 to get there by meter. But it started to rain, so we decided to leave and they wanted rm40 or 50 to get back to the hotel. We simply walked down the street like 20 metres and found a driver who wanted rm15.

The other place to avoid, is directly in front of your hotel. Best to walk down the street a bit and flag one down.

We just usually tell a driver where we want to go. If he tells you a price, then you know that he wont be using the meter. If they say nothing, we hop in the cab and check to see that he is using a meter. And rarely, If not, we tell him to use the meter or hop out.

We generally find that the older Malaysians, use their meter. This is just an observation, not fact.

If you are doing longer trips (day trips), then I suggest you pick a driver from the right hand side of this page FAQ KL Drivers ++ Feedback. These are drivers that we the forum members use.