We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Doha, Qatar
13 posts
Save Topic
Malaysia

Me and my boyfriend are looking to go on a holiday at the begining of October. We are looking for the best place to stay in Malaysia that is on a beach and affortable, but still nice. We have been looking at Thailand as well, but it is rainy season there. I am wondering if Malaysia is a good place to go as I have never been there. Is it expensive? Which place should we stay in order to spend most of our time on the beach, but also do some diving and be able to choose from different restaurants. Any information would be great. Thank!!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,214 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysia

Hi

Its not the rainy season in all of Thailand, and the prevailing weather that affects Thailand will also impact on Malaysia. October is when the weather patterns are changing. Plus when it is 'rainy' season it won't rain all day, just for an hour or so and perhaps not every day, it will still be very, very hot.

Malaysia is not as cheap as Thailand, plus the Malaysian beaches are not as nice as those in Thailand. Phuket might be a great place to check out - lots of cheap options, especially in October, and cheaper than anything you will find in Malaysia and far better beaches.

LA
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia

Hello,

The rainy season shouldn't impact your holidays too much, maybe just a shower in the late afternoon. Langkawi is made up of 99 islands. It's beautiful there. Plus, there are many activities, plus diving. They also have the cable car that will take you to the top of a hill--you will have an amazing view! If you want to try Thailand and Malaysia I hear transportation is relatively very affordable. I have never been to Thailand but I'm sure it's also beautiful like Malaysia. I went to Malaysia a few months ago and had an amazing time, I'm sure you will have a good one too. Good luck!

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia

I dont really enjoyed my ime in langkawi island.i expect more.

.its not like as im look in the brochure.

.phuket is more and more better.no compared..

Sorry..

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,563 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysia

I think phuket might suit your needs better

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,024 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysia

People who like Phuket tend to not like Langkawi and vice-versa. People like different things. Phuket is more developed and has more activity and nightlife, while Langkawi is more laidback.

As for weather, South Thailand and Malaysia share similar weather patterns as it is on the same peninsula. The monsoon is on the west coast from May to September and on the east coast from November to March. October is the inter-monsoon season.

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysia

Malaysia is good for travel,but not fantastic.if you wanna to get fantastic traveling basic in nature,like diving,beach vacation,better to go in Indonesia or thailand,or philippine.

.i ever visited kinabalu mount in kinabalu,its not fabulous overall,but i ever visit some volcanos from indonesia and philippine,fantastic.krakato and see bromo ,nice trip .

Delhi
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysia

hey .. Iam also planning to travel with my gf to kl and langkawi..while I was reading stuff on on the internet I came acros this very unbelievable law that they might have about 'travelling with a girl who you are not married to and sharing hotel rooms'....!!! is it really illegal... because I read on some people's blogs about being harrassed by some 'religeous officers'... please advise

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,214 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaysia

Hi

You may find this link a usefu read

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298570-i7008-k4…

It is not a problem, unless you make it a problem.

Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaysia

All the island facing south china sea is close until march and only accept tourist april onward due to moonsun changes. Sipadan island nickname is jewel of the sea. If you come during the moonsun change. U can try all the island along straits of malacca. No choice.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,894 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaysia

Sipadan Island is in East Malaysia on the East Coast of Sabah, on the island of Borneo. It does not face the south China Sea and is not closed in the monsoon season, nor are any of the other islands off the coast of Sabah. There are also a number of excellent beach side resorts in Sabah Around the capital Kota Kinabalu.