We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Help

malta
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport Help

Hi All,

On the 18th October we will be flying in to KL via air Asia before catching our international flight home with emirates from KLCC.

The air Asia flight lands at 20.00 and the Emirates flight is at 2.00am.

Seeing that there doesnt seem to be much to do at the airport would it be advisable to take the train to KL sentral, have dinner and return to the airport? is there enough time, or do you maybe have any advise on what we can do to kill the time?

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Help

KL international airport is a great place to spend a few hours before your flight out on Emirates. Enjoy the facilities at the airport and do not venture into the city since it's too far and most of it will be shut at that time of the night!

Enjoy your time at KLIA instead, it's good! You can take additional rides in the inter-terminal shuttle trains too...

Edited: 5:00 am, September 23, 2010
Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
5,026 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Help

NO WAY can you get into KL and out again in time.

By the time you get your bags off Air Asia you will have used at least 30 minutes - if not more.

You need to go from the LCCT (Low cost carrier terminal) by taxi or bus to the main terminal - takes about 20 minutes +/-.

You then need to check in for your flight with Emirates. This might take 5 minutes or it might take an hour depending on the length of the que.

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Help

I did this last week but had 1.5 hours more than you. Landed at 18.30 at LCCT collected bags and got Taxi to KL arrived at 20.00. Had something to eat.. Then got a taxi to Sentral at 22.45. Checked in for Emirates at Sentral (no queue at all at this time, very good idea this checkin at station). Train to main Terminal at 23.15 arrived 23.45. So as esorlegin points out you will not have time. I thought I'd just put the timings down for info.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Help

You will be flying into the LCCT with Air Asia and Emirates leave from KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport), so you will arrive collect your baggage etc. then have to get over to KLIA for your next flight.

You can either get the bus or taxi. If you decide on a taxi get a coupon from inside the airport pre paid, taxis waiting just outside. The buses are just outside the arrivals over to your far right.

At KLIA EK (Emirates) usually open the check in 3 hours before departure. (Usually check -in M I think).

You have no time as already said to get to the city. There are plenty of places to eat at KLIA both land-side or air-side. You could even go along to the Pan Pacific Hotel which is right next to the airport, for a bite to eat. KLIA is a modern bright airport with the usual shops etc.

After doing all this the time really should pass.

malta
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Help

Thanks to all for your help, I was actually considering changing my flight to KL to arrive at 22.30 instead of 20.00 but now after reading your posts i assume that it might be a little tight righ?

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Help

You could in theory get the later flight BUT I would leave it as it is just in case of any flight delays with Air Asia, your international EK flight is more important than saving a couple of hours being in the airport.

And to correct a mistake I made on my previous post. As you leave the arrivals hall to get the bus to KLIA the bus stop can be found to your far left (not right).

malta
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Help

Thanks for your prompt help, i will take your advice. Im sure i'll find a spot to have a nive dinner before my 17 hours of traveling :)

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Help

No problem!

Just a couple of things re the airport (KLIA) when you get there. For a inexpensive meal, try the food court downstairs (landside), food not to bad and its a little quieter there.

Also as the EK flight leaves late, shops, eating/drinking places will be closing around 11.30ish (some stay open longer than others) so if you want to eat air-side get something sooner rather than later .

I regularly get the 02.00am EK fight to Dubai (and onwards) and the airport is nice and quiet then.

Enjoy your flight!

9. Re: Airport Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, March 24, 2011