We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
17 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

Spending 4 days in KL next year, and always worry about getting some gastric upset from local foods. Is street food generally safe to eat? What areas, food halls, restaurants should we avoid?

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

Drink bottled water. The five foot way stall are ok in terms for cleanliness, price ( ask first before confirming order ). Have some stomach pills as a precautions as you are trying different foods. Try the hotel food first before going for hawker food. A safe bet will be the fastfood, MCDonalds, KFC, Wendy's or Carls Junior. Let your stomach get use to the food first....

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,660 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

I would risk a bout of an upset tummy rather than eat MCDonalds, KFC, Wendy's or Carls Junior anywhere in the world.

Its the heat, the dehydration, and the alcohol or the excess fruit juice that will normally start the a different routine to ones use of the loo.

When you get proper, proper food poisoning it is caused only by bad hygiene standards (not washing hands after using the toilet) and avoiding any form of chillies or spices, or eating fast food, will not help a jot.

A person carrying an E-coli bug is more likely to work at Maccers or KFC than at a hawkers van where they are cooking the food in front of you. Eat freshly well cooked food, served steaming hot to you. Not some burger that has sat around for half an hour or so prepared by someone who may have just used the loo.

Rice that has sat around is one of the worse offenders for food poisoning, as rice carries the Bacillus cereus bug that is destroyed by good cooking!!

I eat chillies every day, I find the food in Malaysia pretty spicely mild and following basic rules about freshly well cooked food, served steaming hot, use hand wash gel and we always have a great holiday.

Be sensible and be safe, but eat well!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

You may find that a good amount of chilli will help fight off any "bugs" that may be in the food. :)

As everyone has said, just follow standard hygene rules for yourself and enjoy the flavours Malaysia has to offer. If you worry toooo much about the food you are eating you may make yourself sick from the worry and not from the food itself.

Enjoy!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

hiya all thats why i dont get gippy tummy then???/ i eat chili with everything!!! maggieomx

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,652 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

Oooh! I couldn't agree more with what Mitch has said about Maccas, KFC and all that sort of stuff. Why on earth would anybody want to eat that anyway in preference to all the wonderful freshly cooked yummies available all over asia, which is REAL FOOD.

Wouldn't eat it anywhere else either as it has probably been lying about for ages gobbling up all those great tummy graunch making germs. Apart from that, it tastes 'orrible.

Travelkat

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,660 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

Maggie, I'm a chilli with everything girl as well!!

So right Kat, yuk to Maccies and KFC etc!!!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

a little tip, a dose of yakult or similar live yoghurt drink each day helps protect against 'travellers tummy'. i don't think it prevents food poisoming, which can and does happen anywhere, but helps one deal with strange foods. it is readily available in malaysia.

pam

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

Some raspberry syrup or jam each day helps fight off the bugs too. Just note that whatever you choose, it needs to have at least 5-10% actual raspberry in it (so good old Cottees Raspberry Cordial does not work).

A scientist in NSW found that water with as little as 10% raspberry juice in it, could prevent or kill off stomach bugs (eg. e-coli and salmonella) - google "raspberry stomach bug" is you want more info. Pig farmers have been using it for years.

I always take either a raspberry dessert sauce or some jam with me and take it as a precaution (secretly I also believe in the power of the chilli). You can get the little "sachets" of raspberry jam like they serve in hotels which is handy to take out to breakfast with you, or just have a sip of raspberry syrup each morning (I recommend doing it before you brush your teeth).

I believe the raspberry thing works, not just because of the lab tests supporting it, but because once during a period where I was enjoying raspberry jam on toast for breakfast every day, I spent a weekend with my Mum and Dad who were both very ill with gastro - we all know how contagious gastro is - and even after the whole weekend together, I didn't get sick at all!!!

KL (actually, all of Malaysia) food rocks!!! You should absolutely give street/hawker food a go!!!

Lise

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

I hate to rain on the parade - but please do be very careful.

Carry hand gel and make sure you use it.

Some of the bugs can be transfered purely by things you've touched - drinking glasses etc - rather than the food itself.

We are just dealing with another round of blastocystis (similar to giardia) with one of our children, picked up in KL about a month ago. Very strong antibotics to get rid of it.

We will not be put off eating hawker food - but beware, there are dangers.

Caroline.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,660 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Is street food generally 'safe' to eat in KL?

So agree with Caroline.

Whilst the remedies are useful and work for some good basic hygiene is the best you can do to avoid any food poisoning.

Having had Giardia (Kenya) and Cryptosparidum (Dominican Republic) the best thing is good old fashioned hand washing, antibiotic gel, bottled water, not touching your mouth etc etc etc!

A holiday tummy is different to full food poisoning. Holiday tummy is caused by too much fruit juice, change in diet, too much alcohol, too much sun, swimming in the sea, etc, etc.

Food poisoning is caused by bacteria created by poor hygiene.

I can live with a holiday tummy, I can not live with food poisoning it will take weeks to get over and totally ruin your holiday.

Have a safe one.