We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirAsia flights

england
Level Contributor
777 posts
38 reviews
AirAsia flights

how punctual and reliable are their flights? and is a free for all scramble for seats when you get on board or is there a seat allocation system? never flown with them before!

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
574 reviews
1. Re: AirAsia flights

I have flown them several times and the worst I've had was a delay of 15 minutes, so I guess I have been pretty lucky, but you will probably hear some negative experiences.

In Australia when you check in your luggage, this is when they issue you your boarding pass and therefore this is when you will be allocated seat numbers. I assume if will be the same where you are.

You can do a web check in on the internet and allocate your seats if you feel more at ease doing this. Therefore you know your seat numbers a couple of days before you fly.

Our plane row 8 & row 15 had plenty of leg room because there's no row in front of these, but the downside is the armrest does not go up, because this is where the food tray is stored. Although your plane might be different because it is a long flight for you.

England
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: AirAsia flights

We flew from KL to Kota Kinabalu with AirAsia and thought they were pretty good. Even for the internal flight they gave you seat numbers when you checked in. They were also advertising 'hot seats' which I think you could prebook in advance. I'm guessing they had extra leg room - might be worth checking their website.

We had no delays with them, only flown once however.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: AirAsia flights

I have just booked two flights with Air Asia and when you do the booking you can choose your seat. Although both my flights are international so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

england
Level Contributor
777 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: AirAsia flights

thanks everybody. i should have said i will be flying from KL - Penang.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
5. Re: AirAsia flights

I've flown with Air Asia a few times, dosmeticly PEN-KUL, KUL-PEN, JHB-PEN and internationally KUL-HKG-KUL. All the flights time were as per schedule.

Altough the seat will be allocated during check-in, you may pre-booked your seat online, by paying MYR 25 for the "hot" seat(ie, the first 5 rows and the middle 2 rows) or MYR 5 for the "standard" seat.

Last week, however, we've discovered some great offers from Malaysia Airline and gotten ourselves PEN-KUL return tickets at MYR 136 in total, which turn out to be cheaper than Air Asia!

I'd suggest you check on Malaysia Airline too.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: AirAsia flights

In regards to an Air Asia domestic flight KUL-PEN can you please tell me if the 100ml Liquids and Gels apply?

We are flying Air Asia X MEL-KUL with a few hours layover at LCCT. I was worried if our duty free purchased in MEL will be confiscated.

Cheers Gerry

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: AirAsia flights

Gerry the 100 ml does apply, but if you carry the duty free in your checked in luggage you will be okay.

hervey

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: AirAsia flights

Thanks Hervey for your reply. We have heaps of duty free from other trips, I'll nick down the post office and buy the cardboard bottle thingys and put them in our checked in luggage.

Cheers Gerry

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
85 reviews
9. Re: AirAsia flights

Just make sure you don't go over your weight allowance !!!!

england
Level Contributor
777 posts
38 reviews
10. Re: AirAsia flights

thanks Amiteh. you were lucky - MAS have increased their fares substantially and so have Airasia within few hours! but they are still cheaper than MAs even though you have to pay extra for your luggage and selected seats! now can anyone tell me where to get the Skybus from Sentral and do we have to get the tickets first or pay when we board the bus?