We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirAsia web check in

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
558 reviews
Save Topic
AirAsia web check in

Has anyone used this service from Perth to KL? Is it worth it.

I'm assuming there must be a separate counter when you get to the airport to make it streamline. Does this mean by using web check in, your seat numbers are allocated at that point?

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
790 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirAsia web check in

Hi there

I have used the web check in for my flight from Coolangatta to KL. Unfortunately the Air Asia web check in is still a WIP - they do not have a dedicated counter to service passengers who have done web check in. You still hv to queue as per other passengers. What I did when I was at the Coolangatta airport, I asked for assistance from one of the AAX ground crew and he helped us speed up the process. However they still printed new boarding passes for us eventhough I brought a print-out of the web check in confirmation complete with seat numbers. The seat numbers were allocated when we did the web check in.

Hope this helps

Perth
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AirAsia web check in

Hi Lulupuff

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news – but just got the fright of my life and wanted to warn anyone else travelling on the same flight.

We are travelling from Perth then KL to Phuket on 10th April returning on 24th April.

Air Asia very kindly changed our flight times in March – and did not tell us, it was only some kind sole on this website that warned me.

Today, one of my party rang me to say that Air Asia has now changed the flight times again – but even worse it means that we will now miss our connecting flight from KL to Perth.

If you are are on this flight and Air Asia have very kindly NOT advised you – you may want to get on to them – their number is 1300 760 330.

I rang just now and managed to change my flight but when I asked for an explanation as to why we had not been contacted on two separate occasions I was quoted a number that they would have text a message to – this number was my landline number – I am 200% sure Air Asia staff know the difference between a landline and a mobile number – I think this was just a get out clause. I then asked WHY although there were only 4 people travelling on our booking reference there were actually 16 people in our party, all travelling on the same flight and NONE OF THEM had been notified of the changes either. She could offer no reply and I am STILL holding on the phone waiting to speak to a manager – just to get an answer – can you imagine the steam coming out of my ears.

Our flight details are as follows if it helps anyone:-

Flight No AK876 from HKT to KL changed from dep 21.05 arr 22.20 to dep 21.05 arr 23.20

We are now booked on the AK873 dep 13.35 arr 15.45.

Our connecting flight from KL to Perth leaves at 00.10 so there was no way we would have made it. We had to change our flights or we would have missed our flight home completely.

After waiting 15 minutes I got to speak to a manager who apologised profusely but said it must be an IT problem and that he would get his IT people to look into it.

Although I am unhappy about our flight times changing I fully appreciate it is a cheap airline and you get what you pay for and can normally expect these sort of problems.

What I cannot accept, it doesn’t matter how much you have paid for your ticket is the fact that your flight can be changed, not once but twice and receive NO notification WHATSOEVER from the airline.

If we had missed our connecting flight, although both legs of our journey are with Air Asia they would not be liable for us missing our connection ?

Good luck - hope this is of some help.

We're off on Friday and I refuse to let it dampen my spirits - Bangla Road here we come !!!!

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
558 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirAsia web check in

lwk-my,

thanks for that, I think we will use it here and see how it goes.

SnoopsPerth,

I feel so sorry for you, as it does cause stress and you're trying to figure out a way quickly to fix it. Thanks for notifying us as we will definitely have to check all our connecting flights from now on ( I never use to check).

Have a great time, not long to go for you (we travel on 11 april) and can't wait to hear your report when you get back.

Perth
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AirAsia web check in

Hi Lulufluff

Hope all goes well with you.

We fly out on the 10th for 2 weeks. There are 16 of us for hubby's birthday so you'll most probably see us around.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Snoops

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirAsia web check in

I want to point out also that Air Asia state in their T&C smallprint that they oversell seats on flights and that this is "normal and common in the airline industry".

So for this reason, to protect your seat, you would be advised to web check in where possible. It means you are sending a signal to them (their computer!) that you intend to be on this flight. It's just another box you can tick.

I would surmise that the seats they oversell are not those checked in on the web, as this would lead to more unhappy passengers and tarnished reputation for them.

So they sell the late comers with no web check-in, I would assume.

And yes, airlines really do sell the seat you paid for - to someone else. Then if you arrive, they say sorry and offer you a place on the next flight!

It doesn't happen every flight, but it does happen.

That is also why if you arrive late for check-in, they are stubborn and inflexible and won't let you on. Because you seat was sold.

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
558 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AirAsia web check in

Now for sure I will use web check in, thanks again to all who replied.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirAsia web check in

I tried to use web-check in before our flight from Coolangatta - KL but there was an 'error'. I really wanted to do web check-in for 3 flights in 3 days but it just wouldn't let me do it.

I had paid to pre-book seats when purchasing tickets but wanted to speed up process at the airport.

Have had 1 delayed flight (domestic) with Air Asia and one cancelled flight (domestic) with Malaysian.

One international flight to go, fingers x'd ;-).

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
558 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AirAsia web check in

I have just then used web check in and it was so easy. They give you the option if you want to upgrade your luggage weight. I had previously booked my seat numbers, so that showed up on the screen.

Just need a printer to be able to print out the Boarding Pass.

Perth
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: AirAsia web check in

Hi Lulu

Have a great time! Just wanted to ask was the weight costs they ask you again at web check in the same price as when you booked your tickets?

And can you request your seats when doing web check in too?

Thanks

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
558 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AirAsia web check in

It was $18.00 AUD for up to 20kgs and $34.00 for up to 25kgs. That's pretty much the same price I paid before.

Yes I have been told that seats do get allocated at this time.