We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi fare in KL

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,697 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi fare in KL

Hi,

I need a piece of advice from KL experts. I know that situation with taxi in KL pretty strange as the majority of them DO NOT run on meter. I need to know

1/ what taxi companies RUN on meter. Fleet color? Name?

2/ what`s the fare right now. Flag down? Per km?

3/ Is there any difference in day\night tariff?

Thanks in advance for feedback on the matter.

Schonefeld

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,301 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi fare in KL

Hi Schonefeld

Majority of the taxi on idle,park in front of hotel,bus terminal are waiting for victim and will not use meter.

Most taxi on the move will use meter.

At KL sentral they will use a pre paid voucher to your destination.

Fleet color does not apply at Malaysia.

There is a midnight surcharge after 12pm

2. Re: Taxi fare in KL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:05 pm, December 17, 2008
Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi fare in KL

Flag fare is RM2.00 for the first 1 km and 20 sen for each 100 meters.

Other additional charges are:

- actual road toll charges,

- RM2.00 for phone bookings,

- 50% additional charge for trips between midnight and 6 am

- and 50 sen for each piece of luggage carried.

Pre-paid coupon system is used for taxi stands at KTM KL Station, KL Sentral & KLIA.

Join the taxi queue at the taxi stand and the taxi is more likely to use the meter. If not, reject the taxi and wait for the next one.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi fare in KL

Hello Schonefeld, All taxis run on the meter. Only exception is the Airport limo that has a flat coupon rate as well as the taxis that depart from the KL Sentral KL taxi stand where you buy a fixed price taxi.

Most taxis (green, white & red) charges about RM2 flagdown rate and RM0.10 for every 200m after the first 2 km. Yellow premium taxis as well as the Dark blue hotel premium taxis have a RM 4 flagrate and also charge a bit more by the kilometre. There are also various small surcharges for radio call (RM1), baggage (RM1 per piece), etc.

I think there is a 50% surcharge is levied between midnight and 6.00 AM, but I can"t be too sure cause I am usually asleep during this time! Kindly read this page on taxi touts etc:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-s303/Kuala-Lu…

Have fun!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi fare in KL

Oh dear, I guess the prices must have increased! sorry about the old prices!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi fare in KL

Oops, I meant additional charges for baggage stored in boot.

Also, I missed out the surcharge for 3rd adult passenger (max 4 ).

7. Re: Taxi fare in KL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:05 pm, December 17, 2008
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,697 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi fare in KL

Thanks, guys, all of your who reacted on my post.

Yet the situation is still unclear - it seems there is NO taxi company in KL with strict rules and fair attention to the customers. May be someone make a suggestion about companies that are MORE reliable than the rest.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi fare in KL

Hi Schonefeld,

I thought there's only one kind of taxi, ie red body, white roof in KL.. Well, at least that was what I've taken before. I'd say 8 out of 10 taxis I took from the normal taxi stand at shopping malls use the meter. Only the one waiting outside the hotel(which I rejected) asked for up to 4-5x more than the estimated total meter fare.

I suppose to avoid being rip-off, it helps if:

- you look/behave like a local

- you speaks Bahasa Melayu to the Malay driver or Cantonese to the Chinese driver

- you know roughly where you are going to and the distance

IMO, KL taxi service is still better than those in Penang.

Btw, having read your so much concern for KL taxi service, are you visiting KL in the near future and intend to get around mainly by taxi only?

Ami

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,697 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi fare in KL

Hi, AmiTeh,

And thanks for your insight. Yes, I will be in KL in a couple of days. My main concern about taxi traveling is because...

1/ I`ll stay in Lanson Place, jl. Ampang. Not exactly my own choice, rather my company decision - so the nearest LRT is Ampang Park (Putra Line), distance walkable, but not if your are heavy loaded with sportive bags (as it happens in my case). I have to use taxi to get to LRT at least, though ultimate destination is Bukit Bintang Sport Complex.

2/ Also back again, not sure when. Probably at 10 p.m or smth. So for me it`s better to be prepared to deal with the drivers.

3/ And I do speak bahasa if you think it helps to convince drivers to see reason.