We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for seeing KL

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
2 helpful votes
Advice for seeing KL

Hi Members,

I will be in Kl on 21st and 22nd June and would like advice whether I should take tours or rent a car or use Metro or just cab it for sight seeing. My hotel is in KLCC.

On day 1 would like to cover Batu Caves and City sight seeing.

On day 2 cover city sight seeing if anything left or go to Malacca for the day.

I am traveling with my wife and an infant child.

Your early replies will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Advice for seeing KL

My suggestion is you take grab taxi. You can go to Batu caves and and other parts of city. It's advised to take local mobile number before reaching KL. I took via matrix.

I found available local tour to be expensive.

I did not go to Malacca so I m more about Malacca, but I guess grab may go there as well.

Edited: 4:27 am, June 16, 2018
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Advice for seeing KL

I did not go to Malacca so i not sure but I guess grab may go there as well.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
128 reviews
84 helpful votes
3. Re: Advice for seeing KL

That's a lot of traveling for 2 days with an infant. You do realize that to get to the Batu Caves, you have to climb 272 steps, right? Maybe you and your wife are really fit and can do that. If you do end up going to the Batu Caves, I recommend going as early as possible to avoid the heat and crowds.

A taxi to Malacca is about 200 ringgit. I was there last month and it was lovely, but I did it in 2.5 days and not in a single day trip from KL. It takes at least 2 hours to get there from KL. That means you will spend at least 4 hours in a car (but probably more) going back and forth from KL. You'll also be getting there at the hottest time of the day, and when the city is full of tour bus groups. In my humble opinion, I think it's best to spend your second day sightseeing in KL, or at least somewhere closer to the city.

I like the metro system in KL a lot, but again, if traveling with an infant, maybe going by grab taxi from point to point is better in most cases. I found Grab service in Malaysia to be excellent.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
107 reviews
54 helpful votes
4. Re: Advice for seeing KL

Another vote for just using Grab.

Cheers

Sean

NY
Level Contributor
350 posts
121 reviews
60 helpful votes
5. Re: Advice for seeing KL

Air con Grab or taxi to Batu Caves. I’ll pass on Malacca, unless there is a very good reason to go there. Spend time in Brickfields or Little India instead.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
224 reviews
53 helpful votes
6. Re: Advice for seeing KL

Maybe get on the HOHO bus for your Day 2. Will be easier and there is more than enough stuff to see for the 1 day period you have. And if the kid is tired you can stop and head back to your hotel.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
49 reviews
93 helpful votes
7. Re: Advice for seeing KL

You have only 2 days, with an infant child.

A trip to Malacca will take probably 2-3 hours one way (that is assuming you take a car, which is expensive). It would be a very inefficient use of your 2nd day.

My suggestion is to research sights around KL and see more things in the 2 days. Rather than to spend 4-6 hours in a car just to go to Malacca.

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Advice for seeing KL

Thanks everyone for the replies.

So, we are thinking of just cabbing it or using the metro to Batu Caves.

Does anyone have idea if there is any storage facility available there where we can leave the baby pram.

Also, we have decided to give Malacca a skip. Any suggestions to where we can go somewhere closer to the city. Genting???

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
97 reviews
45 helpful votes
9. Re: Advice for seeing KL

Take the LRT from KLCC LRT Station to KL Sentral LRT Station.

Get to the basement level of Stesen Sentral(KL Sentral) which is 1 level down , from where you exit out of the LRT Fare Gates...

Take the free feeder bus to Sentul KTM Komuter Station.

Take the KTM Komuter train from Sentul KTM Komuter Station to Batu Caves KTM Komuter Station...

Walk towards Batu Caves..

Did not noticed any Pram Storage or even bag storage facility at Batu Caves or the Train Station itself..

Or take a Grab for approx 30MYR between KLCC & Batu Caves...

Ya skip Melaka for this short trip...

Stay in KL as there are many nice attractions for yourself , wife & your child..

It's tiring to/fro Melaka via taxi/grab/private transport , even though you are not driving..

Cheers,

Scoobeedoooo

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
49 reviews
93 helpful votes
10. Re: Advice for seeing KL

No Meleka, No Genting. They are really not worth the time it takes to get there if you only have 2 days.

KL is the capital city of Malaysia, don't you think that it takes more than 2 days just to discover the city, instead of trying to travel 100-200km away from it to see another state?

To advise what you can see within KL please advise your interests.

Edited: 11:23 am, June 18, 2018