We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport departure - anything to know prior to leaving KL

Ottawa
Level Contributor
611 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Airport departure - anything to know prior to leaving KL

Some countries have a very simple exit process where you just show up at the airport and check in for your flight, others have a more extensive process that requires you to stand in line, complete various forms, pay a departure tax, all before you can go through airport security. We nearly missed our flight home from India last year because we never expected to stand in line for an exit stamp.

We will exit Malaysia three times over the course of five weeks - once KL to Brunei, once Kuching to Singapore, and once KL to Hong Kong.

What is the process in Malaysia, and how much time should I allow in addition to the normal check in and security procedures?

Thank you.

Edited: 4:18 pm, January 10, 2018
5 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
793 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport departure - anything to know prior to leaving KL

Malaysia is very easy. After check in you proceed straight to immigration for departure processing. If you are claiming a GST/VAT refund you get this processed at this time. After that , off to the gate. Staff are helpful and friendly and the while process is a breeze !!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport departure - anything to know prior to leaving KL

International flight ,play safe a 3 hours should be OK unless you had web check then 2 hours OK

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
834 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport departure - anything to know prior to leaving KL

The exit process is very simple in KL airports but be sure to arrive early enough because especially at KLIA2 the queues for check in and immigration can sometimes get quite long. I'd recommend arriving 3 hours before departure.

Also, be aware that you can get your check in baggage plastic wrapped for safety. Although I am sure it is very rare, during the past 4 years or so I have had two suitcases broken in to at the airport on flights to Japan. I assume the break in's were done at KLIA and not in Japan. Nothing stolen but the edges of those suitcase were damaged with a screwdriver or similar where someone tried to lever open the suitcase, which is why I now always get my bags plastic wrapped.

There is no departure tax anymore as it is built into the price of the ticket.

Also, make sure that you have at least 6 months validity remaining on your passport otherwise you may need to go to your Embassy to get an Emergency Passport Extension.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport departure - anything to know prior to leaving KL

Note that you will have to pass through two security screening check points, first-one just after immigration and second at or before reaching boarding gate. Liquid restrictions applied at the second security screening.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12,564 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport departure - anything to know prior to leaving KL

The airport is far from the city, and peak hour traffic jams are common. So plan your route early.

Different airlines have different check-in procedures. Do online check-in whenever you can.

Airasia and Malaysia Airlines tend to have long queues. Be there early.

There are two terminals which are not physically connected. Be aware which terminal you are departing from KLIA1 or KLIA2. Getting to the wrong terminal may cost you 20-30mins in time.

Kuching to Singapore - is it a direct flight or is there a domestic-international transfer in KLIA/KLIA2?

Reply to: Airport departure - anything to know prior to leaving KL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted