We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osaka Downtown Hostel

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
World
1 post
Save Topic
Osaka Downtown Hostel

Dear fellow travelers,

This is a true account of our stay in Osaka Downtown Hostel. We booked this hostel through the internet. It seems very attractive on the website with all the pictures and enticing description but the experience most backpackers have are extremely bad.

Firstly, the dormitory is not a conducive lodging for travelers at all. The owner, Oliver, is trying very hard to pack at least 6 guests into a confined room which is slightly larger than my store room. These beds are self constructed so you can imagine how unsafe they are. The beds also make a lot of jerking sounds at night.

The ratio of guests/ toilet is 12:1. That means there is always a mad rush for the washroom in the morning.

The worst experience we have is with Oliver’s temper. He has so many unwritten rules that made our stay so unpleasant. You will be barked and yelled upon if you break his ‘rules’. For example, we were shouted at for whispering in the middle of the night. And I got to tell you this, Oliver who stays in the hostel, snores louder than our whispers. There was one occasion, in the middle of the night, when I heard him cursed and swear at our neighboring roommates for wearing footwear to the toilet. I can confirm that he had threatened to chase out this woman. And I am most sure; I heard offensive language that night.

It is because of our stay in Osaka Downtown Hostel that spoilt our trip to Japan. If you decide to make your stay a regrettable experience, be yelled at during your holiday, be subjected to regimentation, go ahead and waste your money. (Rating from 1 to 5 stars? I give -10!)

On another note, my friends have learnt not to trust reviews put up by hostel reservation website They seems to filter off all negative comments so that their websites look positive. I pleaded to our reservation website to allow reviews to be posted but they chose to give us much disappointment. Perhaps profits are more important than the concerns of the customers.

Thank you for reading my message.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,241 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Osaka Downtown Hostel

Thanks for your report; Osaka Downtown Hostel was quite new to me, though. Felt sorry for what you had to go through. One thing I noticed in their web page is, they charge you the fare from KIX when you ask for a pickup. If they are not licensed, charging you any kind of fare is illegal under Japanese law. Be it a cab, bus or truck, licensed cars carry green license plates, not white ones. Those licensed have got to be in the transportation business proper carrying passengers / cargoes. So if their vehicle doesn't carry a green license plate and keep on collecting fares, and if someone tips off to the police about this, they will most likely get caught. That's for sure. Yes, you can't ask for money unless you are authorized to carry a green license plate, no matter what.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Osaka Downtown Hostel

Words can only begin to describe the maltreatment guests receive and the unprofessionalism of this hostel. I apologise if this becomes quite long, I will try and keep it down, but I want to express how ridiculous this hostel is. Initially, we were 'told off' during check in for cancelling one night for 4 people 5 days in advance. The 'room' is a 9 bed shed made from chipboard built on what was a roof terrace. There is no space for luggage and holes in walls/roof. A person staying the night before us had his backpack soaked through in a storm overnight. There is also no air con and the area is one of the worst in Osaka. The manager/owner, Oliver, is, in is own words "ignorant and stupid", but also abusive and a venomous bullshitter. Once you break any of the ever-changing rules, Oliver will let you know. This man is borderline psychotic. He can snap at any minute and will not allow you to speak your side of the story. Upon returning after a night out at 6am (apparently there is no curfew) we were told on entry we had to leave by 11am. There was no explanation that we could glean from his ranting. This left us the morning to find accommodation for the next 2 nights while the athletics were going on. Not an easy task. Upon trying to get a refund, no explanations were given as to the amount returned. When trying to clarification he escalated from shouting us down to pure abuse. I think some of his quotes best describe the situation: “You’ve been drunk since you got here” -We went out once. “Go to better universities” -Two medical students, and a PhD student in material science at Imperial “I wanna spit in your face” -As we were leaving Finally, once we had left we bumped into two other guests who had witnessed the whole scene. They said after we left he was in a rage and spurting lies about our behaviour to other guests. There is much more to this story, but there is too much to put in. I strongly recommend you avoid this place at all costs, even if there is free tea and coffee.

3. Re: Osaka Downtown Hostel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, September 08, 2009