We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

Hi,

On the way to our Bali honeymoon we have 9 hours in Osaka, but don't land until 3:15. No idea how long exiting the airport will take, lets say an hour. We're interesting in some nature before the sunsets, or grabbing a drink somewhere we can watch the sunset.

We also wouldn't mind heading over to Osaka castle park, but can't find closing hours on their website. What time would we have to be out of the Park? I've read its beautiful at night as well.

Then need to find a romantic and/or relaxing place to have dinner and drinks while we wait for our flight. Last thing we want is to see highly dense malls on this trip. We'll come back to Japan for that in the future.

If you have suggestions at all for the above, we'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Edited: 1:38 am, August 18, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

We're landing KIX and have to be back there for a midnight flight. So maybe we should change our mindset and first try to see the castle, then head to Namba and Dotonbori for the evening.

Do trains stop running around midnight?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

I don't think you have enough time to see the Castle. By the time you make it over there, it will be at least 4:30pm to 5pm. The garden closes at 5pm (4:30pm in the winter). The Castle itself isn't really worthwhile unless you know Japanese history well.

If your flight leaves at midnight, you should aim to get back to the airport by 10:30 to 10:45pm latest. Trains will still be running still around 10pm so there won't be any issues heading back.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

Thank you Sammyfloyd, much appreciate your advice and expertise.

Sounds like we'll just check out Namba and Dotonbori, find dinner and then head back.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,764 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

Consider - westjr.co.jp/global/…

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,826 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

Probably it would be better for you to take the Nankai Rap:t to/from Namba and enjoy the shopping/dining experience around Hozenji Yokocho and Dotombori. Leave your luggage at the coin lockers at KIX. I don't think taking the JR Haruka or getting a ICOCA card would be necessary for you, as you would only have 9 hours.

Edited: 4:01 pm, August 18, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

Nevermind, just saw someone answered my next question below. Thanks guys!

-------------------

Second question, maybe you could help with. Which trains should I look into taking to get us to Dotonbori and back to KIX. We won't have any luggage with us minus a small backpack and purse.

I've read there are three possible train options and not sure which would be best.

Edited: 6:47 pm, August 18, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

If we're headed to Dotonburi do we take the Namba stop then walk? Any special exit to look for leaving the namba stop? I see some people talk about 'exit 25'.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,653 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

Yes, that's correct. Get off at Namba and walk. If you're going to take the underground passageways, take Exit 25, but getting out of Nankai Station to the ground level and walk through arcades--Ebisubashi and Shinsaibashi to Dotonbori is much more fun.

Since the castle is going to be closed at 5pm, consider going to Shitennoji Temple. While some buildings will be closed after 6PM, the ground is open 24/7. It's an interesting temple. Take the Midosuji subway to Tennoji (third stop, 6 minutes.):

http://www.shitennoji.or.jp/

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

If you find the general shops (clothes, fashion, accessories, etc) not of interest, at Dotonbori, visit the Donki shop. It has a bit of everything including some wacky stuff.

www.donki.com/search/shop_detail_en.php…

The walk between Dotonbori and Namba is just a few minutes. Like Shibuyakko suggested, come up to the street level and just roam around. This section of town is pretty much a grid running north-south (and east to Dotonbori) so you shouldn't get lost.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendation for activities after 3pm in Osaka 9hr layover

Donki shop looks really fun, will definitely stop by there.

You guys rock, I'm so excited for this layover now, thank you so much.

Hopefully last question, any must try (or personal favorite) restaurants come to mind in the Hozenji Yokocho and Dotombori area?