We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute advice for my itinerary (8-14Jun)

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute advice for my itinerary (8-14Jun)

Hi all, here's my itinerary

Day 1- Kansai Airport to Kyoto (Stay in Kyoto Gojo Citadines) - Fushimi Inari Shrine, followed by Eastern Kyoto walk

Southern Kyoto

Fushimi Inari shrine

Eastern Kyoto Full Day (bus/walk)

Kyoto Station Karasuma exit (bus 5/17 Ginkakujimichi or bus 100 Ginkakujimae) - Ginkakuji - Philosopher's Path – Heian Shrine – Yasaka Shrine – Maruyama Park - Higashiyama Streets - Kiyomizudera (subway Shijo Station) - Nishiki Market - Pontocho - Gion (bus 100/206) - Kyoto Station - back to hotel.

Day 2 - Kyoto sightseeing continues

Northern Kyoto:Kinkaku-ji – the golden pavilion

Central Kyoto: Nijo Castle

Western Kyoto: Arashiyama

Day 3 - Osaka (Osaka castle, Namba shinsaibashi, Dotonbori)

Day 4 - Universal Studio and Bay area (Tempozen Habour Village, Naniwa Food Theme Park too)

Day 5 - Nara (Kofuku-ji, Nara Park, Kasuga Taisha, Todaii ji)

Day 6 - Kobe and Umeda shopping

Day 7 - Home sweet home from Kansai Airport

Am considering the bus and train passes but don't have enough time for my last minute research. I know I should be getting two Kyoto Day bus passes, am I right? and wondering if I should get Kansai West Japan Railway pass or am I better off without this?

Anything I need to note regarding transportation as I am prepared to arrive there to view Kyoto bus routes using their bus guide, and Osaka railway maps I get from there. Any prior booking needed?

And is my itinerary do-able? Pls advise. Thanks, any advice is appreciated. =)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute advice for my itinerary (8-14Jun)

If possible, pls suggest the bus / best train route for my travel as I realise there are many options like JR, Kintetsu, etc. E.g. from Airport to Kyoto, from Kyoto to Osaka, etc. Thanks.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute advice for my itinerary (8-14Jun)

Pls download bus route map from city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

For example, direct bus(bus No. 5) is available from your hotel to Ginkakuji temple.

ICOCA card, EZ-link card in Kansai region covers all transportation in Kansai region with an exception of Kyoto Bus. westjr.co.jp/global/…

Edited: 7:43 am, June 06, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute advice for my itinerary (8-14Jun)

Thanks for the quick reply, Nao, I have downloaded the bus guide for Kyoto. So I should get the bus pass right? And so, you suggest me getting the ICOCA card not passes since it is not so economical? Thanks again, any other advice for my itinerary and transportation routes?

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
787 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute advice for my itinerary (8-14Jun)

I think based on your itinerary, the Kansai West Area Pass will not pay off. For Kyoto, if you will be taking more than 3 bus rides per day, then the Kyoto bus pass will pay off. In Osaka, you can also consider getting the Osaka One-Day Pass which cost ¥800. This pass allows for unlimited rides on the Osaka subway and buses with discounts on selected tourist spots, shops and restaurants. To check if these passes pay off for you, you can use www.hyperdia.com.

For your travel to Kyoto, you should buy the ICOCA + Haruka package. This package is a good deal. Bought the one way trip which cost ¥3,000 per person. It comes with an ICOCA card that is pre-loaded with ¥1,500 and a ticket on the Limited Haruka Express that can be taken all the way to Kyoto.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute advice for my itinerary (8-14Jun)

Use the Kyoto city buses strategically. Do not use them for long trips across town since city traffic is quite horrendous so you could lose a lot of time. Use the subway for such long trips, supplemented by the bus.

6. Re: Last minute advice for my itinerary (8-14Jun)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 08, 2014