We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day itinerary in Kansai

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
7 day itinerary in Kansai

Hi,

My wife and I will have 7 days in Kansai for our honeymoon in late July and want to focus our tour on the cultural (food, gardens, onsen) and spiritual side of Japan. I have drafted the following itinerary and would love any feedback experienced travelers in this area can give me on whether it is too hectic or misses cultural and spiritual highlights and advice around travel options (rail passes and feasibility of travelling by hire car without Japanese language skills)

Day 0: Arrive in KIK at 7.30pm so thinking express train straight to hotel in Osaka

Day 1: Walking tour in Osaka & Castle and evening in Donburri

Day 2: Mid morning train to Kyoto and Nishiki market and cooking class

Day 3: Full day sightseeing in Kyoto - finish with kaiseki meal in Ryokan

Day 4: Morning sightseeing/free then train to Nara with afternoon in Deer park

Day 5: Morning in Nara and then travel to Koya-san staying overnight in a temple

Day 6: Mediation & prayers in Koya-san and then travel to Hongu or Tanabe (is there a way to do this apart from hire car?) and do a half day walk along Kumano Kodo and overnight in Hongu/Tanabe

Day 7: A morning walk on a different part of Kumano Kodo before travelling back to KIK for a flight at 8pm (ideally going via Wakayama for a swim in the ocean)

I'm interested in overall thoughts on the trip but specifically on transport options from day 5 onwards as I'm currently thinking of hiring a car in Nara and dropping it off at the airport on Day 7 but not sure how smart that is. Also, do you have any advice about rail passes for the first half of the trip?

Any feedback/help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Nathan

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
55 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day itinerary in Kansai

are you sure that you start your trip in Iraq??? You must arrive to KIX airport, not KIK...

about transport: I would recommend train+taxi because driving in Japan without kanji skills can be a horrible adventure... you may buy train tickets, Japan Rail Pass for foreigners would be too expensive regarding small distances...

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day itinerary in Kansai

Thanks for getting back to me and yes you are correct, I meant KIX :)

Also, thanks for the tip about using a train/taxi combo rather than hire car.

Other than those points does the itinerary look feasible/good?

Regards,

N

Vancouver
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day itinerary in Kansai

I think you will regret missing kyomizudera , kinkakuji and some sights around Kyoto.

I think you could see Nara in less time

4. Re: 7 day itinerary in Kansai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 14, 2014