We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most economical train travel KIX - OSAKA - KYOTO - KIX

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Most economical train travel KIX - OSAKA - KYOTO - KIX

After doing many many hours of research, I am seeking guidance/confirmation on train travel from the TripAdvisor experts please! I have noted these train travel enquiries can be rather confusing, so I hope to put forward my question as concisely as possible!

Itinerary is as follows:

* Arriving at Kansai International Airport (KIX) on 6pm 3 July 2013

* 4 nights OSAKA

* 10 nights KYOTO

* Departing Kansai International Airport on 9pm 17 July 2013

Like many fellow travellers to Japan, I am trying to organise my train connections. I would really appreciate feedback on my choices/findings so far:

KIX - OSAKA - Nankai Airport Express - Y890

OSAKA - KYOTO - Hankyu Limited Express - Y390

KYOTO - KIX - 1 Day JR West Pass - Y2000

Alternative:

The Haruka & iCOCA Pass is rated as excellent value but I am a little confused as to whether it is suitable for my trip. I note the Y4000 return pass is only valid for 14 days. We arrive on the evening of 3rd July and depart on the evening of 17th July. If you count our arrival on 3rd as Day 1, then the 17th is actually Day 15 (even though it's 2 weeks on the calendar).

If I cannot get the return Haruka ICOCA, I cannot see any advantage in buying the one way deal from KIX - OSAKA at 3000Y.

I would really appreciate feedback from the experts out there. This site has always been my travel saviour.

Many thanks.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,472 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most economical train travel KIX - OSAKA - KYOTO - KIX

Where in Osaka are you going to stay? Nankai is convenient if you're staying in Namba, but not so much if you're staying near Osaka Station, for example.

ICOCA/Haruka one way package will give you discount of ~1,000yen on Haruka fare. Taking Haruka is super convenient if you're staying near Tennoji or Shin-Osaka.

Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Most economical train travel KIX - OSAKA - KYOTO - KIX

Thank you for your quick response Shibuyakko. We are staying at the Cross Hotel, not far from Namba. That's why I thought the Nankai might be preferable in our case.

Working out these very efficient and amazing train systems is definitely a challenge for visitors!

3. Re: Most economical train travel KIX - OSAKA - KYOTO - KIX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 11, 2014