We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Osaka to Iga

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Trains from Osaka to Iga

Hello tripadvisors. Hyperdia gives me several route options from Osaka to Uenoshi, all are about 2 hours long and differ in prices. Which would be the better route to take? Does the Icoca card work on the Iga Railway? Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,954 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Osaka to Iga

If your hotel is near JR Osaka loop line, JR route via Kamo station and IgaUeno station is better. If your hotel is near Kintetsu line(Namba, Shinsaibashi, Uehonmachi etc.), Kintetsu route is better.

You can not use ICOCA on Iga railway. But the Iga railway line is very simple, train is small and stops at all stations. You will have no problem buying the tickets.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4353.html

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Osaka to Iga

Thanks. Hopefully I can make the connection in time. It says that the Iga railway runs only once an hour so it'll be a bummer if I miss it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
726 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Osaka to Iga

We had no trouble connecting with the Iga Railway from the JR station at Iga-Ueno. It only takes a minute or two to change tracks (the lines are connected). You buy your ticket to Ueno-shi from a machine *on* the train, so don't waste time looking around at the station. I haven't travelled there on the Kintetsu line, so I don't know if the connections are as good.

Enjoy your visit!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,161 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Osaka to Iga

Kintetsu has better connections to Iga Ueno (it's a double track electrified mainline up to Iga Kambe, and from Iga Kambe the Iga Railway was once part of the Kintetsu line). The JR Kansai Line up to Kamo has a frequent service on dual tracks, but from Kamo one of Honshu's most outlandish and old line begins, with diesel-powered rail bus running along a river gorge (scenic and actually my favorite route). In any case, Iga Railway is scheduled to meet the connecting train, but you should check hyperdia in advance so that you have a good connection.

If you intend to use the JR Pass, go by JR, as Kintetsu is not in the JR Group.

Edited: 7:24 am, March 10, 2013
Singapore
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Osaka to Iga

MumPlusOne2012 thanks for the info. I would not have expected a ticket machine inside the train itself. We are not getting any passes as these will not be cheaper than buying tickets as we go. We'll be taking the Kintetsu train from Osaka Namba, a short walk from our hotel.

6. Re: Trains from Osaka to Iga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 14, 2014