We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osaka subways

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
638 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Osaka subways

Im a bit confused with the term subway and jr and kintetsu's.

I will be staying at the st regis for a couple of nights and site states theres a subway system nearby, is this the jr or a local subeay system?

Im moving to Sheraton for 3 nights and site states theres a train system so that's the long distance train system right? Is there easy or convenient transportation to the Namba shopping area? How much would taxi be?

Staying in osaka for 6 days and going to hotel seamore for one night, would it be worthwhile for me to get a jr pass weekly pass? I cant seem to find single trip costs. Traveling with kids, we'll probably only travel to one major area a fay max, i.e. Kyoto, kobe, etc.

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,904 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Osaka subways

…osaka.lg.jp/foreign/…map.pdf

st regis is close to M18 station. Sheraton is close to S18 station.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,856 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Osaka subways

I think JR lines are all(?) above ground trains.

I'm sure someone will gleefully correct me if I'm wrong.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,038 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Osaka subways

Japan Rail Group companies are those that were divided and privatized from Japan National Railway. They can go overground as well as underground. Western Japan is JR West domain.

Kintetsu was developed as a privately owned and run enterprise. It is not in the JR Group. It has better connection for Osaka Namba-Nara, Kyoto-Nara routes than JR West.

Metro trains are run by local municipal governments; they are not in the JR Group. It makes no sense to differentiate metro and other trains; some metro trains go overground and JR/Kintetsu/Hanshin/Keihan etc etc can and do go underground.

Just take note that JR Pass is used only for JR Group company trains, and JR trains aren't always the fastest or have frequent runs. Apart from that, you should check out downloadable pdf maps and use Google Map for routing.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,524 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Osaka subways

>>>>Staying in osaka for 6 days and going to hotel seamore for one night, would it be worthwhile for me to get a jr pass weekly pass? <<<

I'm assuming you're talking about the Hotel Seamore in Shirahama. The nation wide 7day JR Pass is 28,300yen so it's much more than the train fare to Shirahama and back by the Ltd. Express Kuroshio which is 10,260 yen with reserved seats. Get the Kansai Area Wide Pass and you'll save a few thousand yen:

westjr.co.jp/global/…

California
Level Contributor
638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Osaka subways

Is it over 10200 each way or round trip? So i guess even with planned trip to kobe, nara and kyoto it wouldnt be worth it to get the 7 day pass?

Edited: 5:26 pm, January 20, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,904 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Osaka subways

Now you know you can travel around Osaka and to Shirahama for 8 days with 2 JR West Wide Area Passes at 14000yen. Why do you need 7 day pass at 28300yen?

Actually, 1 Wide area pass and ICOCA Haruka package would be even cheaper.

westjr.co.jp/global/…

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,524 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Osaka subways

10,260yen is for "Shirahama and back," a round trip fare. Short distance trips such as Osaka to/from Kyoto, Nara, Kobe are about 1,000yen each round trip. That's why the nation wide JR Pass doesn't pay off. Just stick with the Kansai Wide Area Pass.

From your other thread, I understand you're arriving at KIX and staying in Osaka area more than 4 days, so getting a Haruka/ICOCA Package in addition is a good idea. From KIX to St. Regis, take the Haruka Express to Tennoji and transfer to the Midosuji Line to Honmachi and go out of Exit 7.

California
Level Contributor
638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Osaka subways

We just finalized our itinerary. It would be great if someone could give me the specific isntructions on what to take and what passes to buy based on my final itin.

Arrive at KIX

1st stop will be Swissotel Nankai Osaka (2 nights) from here to

2nd stop will be Hotel Seamore SHIRAHAMA-CHO, NISHIMURO-GUN, WAKAYAMA then from here to

3rd stop will be St. Regis Osaka from here to

4th stop will be Sheraton Osaka from here to

5th Stop KIX airport

I know shibuyakko said to take "to Shirahama and back by the Ltd. Express Kuroshio which is 10,260 yen with reserved seats." but how do I get from the Swissotel to the LTD. Express?

Thanks everyone!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,524 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Osaka subways

The Nankai Line train either the Rapit or regular is most convenient from KIX to Swissotel. No pass needed.

From the Swissotel, take the subway Midosuji Line to Tennoji and transfer to the Kuroshio Ltd. Express. For this trip, buy the Kansai Wide Area Pass and use it for next 4 days.

From Shirahama to St. Regis, get off the Kuroshio train at Tennoji and take the Midosuji Line to Honmachi.

From St. Regis to Sheraton, I'd just take a taxi. If you want to take subways, the Midosuji Line from Honmachi to Namba then Kintetsu Line to Uehonmachi or Sennichimae Line from Namba to Tanimachi Kyuchome. Why are you changing hotels again, though? It's a total waste of your time if you ask me.

Sheraton to KIX, take the bus:

kate.co.jp/pc/…for

California
Level Contributor
638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Osaka subways

"From the Swissotel, take the subway Midosuji Line to Tennoji and transfer to the Kuroshio Ltd. Express. For this trip, buy the Kansai Wide Area Pass and use it for next 4 days. "

Should I buy this pass and use it on the return trip to Osaka from Hotel Seamore? since I'd be in Osaka for 4 more days? Otherwise, I'd waste 2 days since we're at Seamore for 1 night and 2 days.

We're switching hotels because I'm trying to use my points with SPG and keep hotel exepnses low. I guess I can cancel the St Regis (don't want to pay for 4 nights for this hotel) and just stay at the Sheraton for 4 days instead? It would save me about 25,000 spg points.

I believe that there's a bus stop right outside the Sheraton to KIX. It looks like your link reference the same bus stop.

Thanks again Shibuyakko! Very much appreciate your help, which is invaluable! If you ever need advice for traveling in California, let me know.