We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which special Pass to use?

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Which special Pass to use?

hi! I am planning to stay at the Hearton hotel Shinsaibashi and use it as base for my travels to osaka, kyoto, nara and hiroshima.

With all the discount rail/metro passes around, which will best suit me? Will it include transfer from KIX?

thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which special Pass to use?

ICOCA card westjr.co.jp/global/…

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which special Pass to use?

from what i understand, the ICOCA card is just a prepaid card right? I dont get any discount if get this...

From what i have read, there are special 2day or 3day passes available.. which one will should I take?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which special Pass to use?

Get the 4-day JR West Sanyo Area Pass. The pass will pay off based on the Osaka to Hiroshima roundtrip alone. Anything else you get would be real savings. You can take JR between all the places on your list, plus between KIX Airport and Osaka. However, as the validity is limited to 4 days, you need to plan your trip in advance to maximize its benefits.

westjr.co.jp/global/…

The other passes really won't save you money so don't worry about them.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,480 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which special Pass to use?

Yes-ICOCA is a stored value card. No savings. Very convenient.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,477 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which special Pass to use?

The JR West 4day Pass is the only pass that makes sense to your itinerary. There are many passes but no other pass covers the Shinkansen to Hiroshima. If you're staying longer than 4 days, get the ICOCA/Haruka package upon arrival. Take the Haruka to Tennoji then switch to the subway Midosuji Line to Shinsaibashi.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,241 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which special Pass to use?

Just a note here: you'd need to buy a separate ticket to Kyoto and Nara as per your itinerary, since the above-said pass doesn't cover them. Yet the pass is well worth your money, I reckon.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which special Pass to use?

thank you for your replies...

If I choose to skip hiroshima.. which pass should I then get?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,477 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which special Pass to use?

If you skip Hiroshima, any pass is not likely to pay off. Just stick with the ICOCA.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which special Pass to use?

JR actually covers all the places you plan on going. To maximize savings, you would need to plan your trip down to the day.

As Shibuyakko said, if you won't go to Hiroshima, then passes generally won't pay off. The best deal would be ICOCA & Haruka if you opt for Haruka Express to Osaka. You can choose Nankai Airport Express though (890 Yen) to Namba which is even cheaper than the ICOCA & Haruka deal. In that case, just buy an ICOCA separately if you want the convenience.

10. Re: Which special Pass to use?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 28, 2013