We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

Hi all, as this is my 1st visit to Japan (29 Mar - 6 Apr 2013), would greatly appreciate for some advice based on my itineraries below:

29 Mar - Arrive in Kansai Airport ard 7am. Intend to take airport limousine to Namba station to drop our luggage at hotel (Hotel Vista Grande Osaka). Will visit Osaka castle and in the evening walk from shinsaibashi to namba.

30 Mar - visit to USJ

31 Mar - Travel to Tokyo via Shinkansen, hotel at Ginza area. Plan to walk ard Shinjuku and shibuya area and a visit to Meiji Shrine or Tokyo tower

1 and 2 Apr - visit to Disneyland and Disneysea (is it worth going for 2 theme park spread over 2 days)

3 Apr - Travel to Kyoto, stay at Gion District. Walk ard Gion District

4 Apr - Arashiyama and Tenryu-ji

5 Apr - Nara or Fushimi Inari Shrine

6 Apr - Flight back to sg at 17.25 from Kansai Airport

Please see if I do still have time for any other sightseeing in Kyoto or is there any other recommendation.

Is it advisable to purchase the JR pass based on my above itineraries and the activation date will be on 31 Mar? Is there any other pass I need to purchase for my travel within the cities?

Thank you so much!!!

Special Offer
Tokyo by Night: Japanese Food Tour
343 reviews
from $91.40*
$114.20
Special Offer
Kyoto Cultural Half-Day Tour with...
305 reviews
from $50.50*
$63.20
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

>>Is it advisable to purchase the JR pass based on my above itineraries<<

No, you won't be saving money by purchasing the JR Pass if you are with you itinerary. Just go by normal fare; buy the Shinkansen tickets on the spot.

KIX-Osaka Namba you may use the Limousine Bus or Nankai Railway Rapit train. I am not a Disney addict so I would personally rather limit to either Disneyland or Disneysea for 1 day and visit somewhere else on another, but it's up to you. Staying in Ginza for Disney is a good choice.

I'm sure on 3rd you'd be able to visit many places in Higashiyama area, and on 4th you could probably add in Kinkakuji and Nijo Castle as well.

On 5th or any other day in early morning or in evening you can visit the torii gates of Fushimi Inari. It's not Nara or Fushimi Inari question. You are strongly recommended to visit Nara in any case.

Passes don't necessarily economize your trip. Looking at your itinerary, I think only Kyoto Bus Pass might or might not be useful for you.

(If you were going straight to Kyoto from KIX, the JR West Kansai Area 1 Day Pass is good for Ltd Exp Haruka's non-reserved section).

There are prepaid cards like ICOCA in Kansai Region (Osaka and Kyoto) and SUICA in Kanto Region (Tokyo) but you might as well just buy the normal tickets (not hard to do) or buy the lowest fare ticket and do fares adjustment by machine or with the staffs upon exit.

Edited: 6:36 am, December 17, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

Hi Yobeekool,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm abit confuse here, i had check out the ticket cost from hyperdia.com and it seems that a round trip from osaka - tokyo - kyoto will cost 27,370 yen. The price is almost the same as a JR Pass. Since I might be going to disneyland on both day using JR train line, so i thought it will be worth for the whole trip.

I seen some replies regards to a e-voucher ticket for the Shinkansen ticket, may i know what is that and is it useful to me.

Since Nara is highly recommended, i will make a day trip to Nara for some sightseeing. Can I use the JR pass for the travel to Nare from Kyoto? Am i also able to do both Nara and Fushimi Inari within a day?

My flight departure time is 1725hrs, what is the latest time that i need to leave Kyoto for Kansai Airport?

Thank you so much :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

sorry, 1 more question. Is it possible to make a day trip to Mt Fuji from Tokyo? I might want to cover Mt Fuji and limited to only a day in Disneyland instead of 2.

will it be too rush and too packed based on my itinerary. Thank you.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,106 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

Mt Fuji from Tokyo via Hakone - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

5. Re: Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:49 am, August 01, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,536 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

A JR Pass should pay off for you. Activate it on 3/31 so it lasts until 4/6, your last day in Japan. Use the Pass to take Shinkansen plus Haruka Express from Kyoto to Kansai Airport. With the miscellaneous rides included, you might come out a couple thousand Yen ahead. Just remember that JR Pass doesn't do much for you once you are inside a city.

With a JR Pass, for Shinkansen, you don't reserve for tickets in advance. Instead, you can make free seat reservations any time before your train's departure but they are not compulsory. If you don't have a seat reservation, you can line up for an open seat at one of the unreserved cars. The same goes for JR Limited Express trains.

I don't see how you possibly can have time for Mt. Fuji if you get to Tokyo on 3/31, then go to theme parks on 4/1 and 4/2. Anyway, spring is not the season to climb Mt. Fuji. In fact, most people visit Hakone (see Dave's link) to get a view of Mt. Fuji. With the Hakone Free Pass, one can easily go to Hakone from Mt. Fuji with an easy train ride or two. Once there, just follow the Hakone Loop and it's a very easy day trip. There is no need to rent a car to see Hakone unless you plan on going elsewhere in the region such as Kawaguchiko, Izu Peninsula, etc.

Hakone Free Pass info:

www.odakyu.jp/english/freepass/hakone_01.html

Kamakura is a smaller version of Kyoto with less to see. It is really not directly comparable to Hakone because they don't offer the same things. Also, the view of Mt. Fuji from Kamakura is much smaller than Hakone. I suggest sticking to Hakone in your case.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

Thanks all for the information and advise.

i'm planning to do 1 day in disneyland on 4/1 and a day trip to Mt Fuji/Hakone on 4/2. Don't really intend to climb but to view and sightseeing. Had read up there is some day tour that cover from Mt Fuji and follow by to Hakone.

I'm planning to do it on my own so that i can make adjustment to my own time instead of following the tour. From my understanding, the tour will reach Mt Fuji (5th station)1st then from there will travel to Hakone. How does it work in this way? Will travelling by train faster then by the direct bus from Shinjuku? I'm abit lost here, can't seen to find the connection from Fuji to Hakone.

Thank you!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

Having things reconsidered, the JR Pass should work out fine for you, especially if you cover Mt Fuji Five Lakes (which is not directly connected by bus to the Hakone area; the two areas are quite far apart and need a two bus rides; do either one area. If you pick Kawaguchiko in the Five Lakes area, there is a train connection via Otsuki [Fujikyu section from Otsuki-Kawaguchiko not covered by the JR Pass]).

I generally recommend Hakone for short time visitors traveling along the Osaka/Kyoto-Tokyo route.

Edited: 6:18 am, December 19, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

Hi all, really thanks so much for all the info...

I'm trying to firm up my itinerary now and will be back again if got any more questions. Thanks all!!

Have a great Christmas!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itineraries in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto

Hi all,

Finally had decided on my itnerary, please give comments or advise:

29 Mar: Arrive in Kansai Airport ard 7am. Taking Nakai Rapit train to Namba Nakai and drop our luggage at Hotel: Vista Grande Osaka. Visit Osaka castle follow by evening walk from shinsaibashi to namba.

30 Mar: visit to USJ

31 Mar: Shin-osaka to Tokyo via Shinkansen (JR pass activated on this day). Arrive in Tokyo ard noon and drop luggage at hotel Ryumeikan. Visit to Tokyo Tower, taking Yurikamome to Odaiba as spouse would like to visit Gundam Front and evening shopping and dinner at Shibuya

1 Apr: Visit to Mt Fuji (5th station) Kawaguchiko. Will be taking Shinkansen from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko station using JR pass + additional fare from Otsuki station, follow by taking bus to 5th station. Afternoon will make a trip to Yurari for Onsen before making my trip back to Tokyo

2 Apr: Visit to Disneysea

3 Apr: Tokyo to Kyoto. Arrive at Kyoto ard 1pm and proceed to drop our luggage at hotel Yuzuya (next to yasaka Shrine). Walk from hotel to the Philosophy path to Ginkakuji temple (able to complete the walk within 2hrs?). If time permits, we will continue our walk to Kiyomizudera temple or walk ard Higashiyama district.

4 Apr: Visit to Nijo castle in the morning. Will take JR train from Nijo station to Umahori and from Umahori, take Sagano sight-seeing tram to Arashiyama Torokko station. From there walk along the bamboo groves, visit to Tenryuji Temple and walk ard Arashiyama.

5 Apr: Visit to Fushimi Inari Shrine in the morning. Then do some shopping at Kyoto station and take a walk at Nishiki Market follow by dinner at Pontocho area

6 Apr: Shop ard Gion or Higashiyama area then ard 2pm take Haruka train to Kansai Airport. Flight back to sg at 1725. Enough time for me if I leave Kyoto ard 2pm?

Few questions i would like to check:

1) as i will be at osaka on 1st and 2nd day, i will be buying ICOCA card for transportation. Can i use this at Tokyo subway as well? i saw an article that from mid mar onwards most of the cards are compatible. Otherwise i will need to purchase SUICA card for tokyo subway and kawaguchiko?

2) i will have a JR Pass as well for travel between Kansai and Tokyo. If the lines are under JR company which i can use with my JR pass and the next transfer is non JR. Can i use both JR for the JR portion and ICOCA for the next portion? or the whole ride, i have to use ICOCA?

3) have any idea how much is the taxi ride from Kawaguchiko station to Yurari Onsen? is it true that waiting time for the bus from station to Yurari will be about 1-2hrs?

4) as i will exchange my JR pass at kansai airport on the day of arrival and request the activation date to be 31st mar, can i start to make reservation of the seats that day for all my Shinkansen ride?

5) it will be spring during my travel, may i know how is the weather like? i had checked is about 7(lowest) to about 18( highest) during my trip. Do i really need those thick coat or light sweater will do?

am sorry if it is too wordy and with so much questions. Thanks in advance for all information and help :)