We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

Jakarta, Jakarta...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

Hi All,

I'm planning to have a family trip to Japan this 29 Dec. We'll be arrived in Tokyo, Haneda and go straight to Osaka. The pack is consist 4 adults (25-28 years old) and 2 elder people (58 years old) with 4-5 big size suitcases.

Due to the elder and luggage in the pack, I'm looking for the most direct BUT cheapest way to get to Osaka from Haneda airport.

The option that I'm thinking is either by train or bus (airplane is out of question)

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,022 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

If you arrive via Air Asia in the late night at 1030 or 1130, all the last bus and train will have already departed by then. You need to stay at a budget hotel near the airport anyway.

Jakarta, Jakarta...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

Oh I forgot to mention, i do arrive via Air Asia and planning to go to Osaka first thing in the morning.

What option should i choose best to go to Osaka in the morning?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,850 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

Best is the train. Take Keikyu Line to Shinagawa and transfer to Shinkansen there. The trip takes just over 3 hours total.

Cheapest is the highway bus, but it takes up to 8 hours.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

What day are you actually going to travel Tokyo to Osaka--the 29th or the 30th? Bus and trains out of Tokyo are extremely busy that time of year and many are sold out as NY approaches.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

Further to my post above...I just looked up availability of seats Tokyo to Shin-Osaka on Dec 29th..almost all trains are sold out. There are a few green seats (smoking and non-smoking) on a few trains left but virtually all regular reserved seats are sold out. Same on the 30th.

That means if you want to take a train, you likely would have to line up and hope for a seat in the unreserved section..and to do that you would want to start from Tokyo station where the train commences its journey. You have picked about the busiest time possible to take a train Tokyo to Osaka--don't want to discourage you, but you did mention one in your party was elderly, so that could be a concern....

Edited: 8:29 pm, December 12, 2012
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

http://www.jr.cyberstation.ne.jp/

Tokyo -> Shinosaka regular class reserved seats available for

29/12 Nozomi/Hikari 6:00, 6:26, 16:23, 16:33, 16:47, 17:03, 17:13, 17:30, 17:33, 17:47, 17:50, and then every train (except 1) until 21:20 . 12 trains per hour

29/12 Kodama (takes 4 hrs and cheaper) non-smoking 15:56, 19:26; Smoking every one of the 9 trains

30/12 Nozomi/Hikari OK availability before 9am, almost nothing until 15:00, then good to wide open availability after

30/12 Kodama non-smoking 19:26 smoking - all 9 trains

Edited: 8:59 pm, December 12, 2012
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

Sorry, Kodama trains are not cheaper, just slower.

But frankly with "4-5 big size suitcases" and "cheapest " in mind, which rules out luggage delivery, the only option is bus.

Train: 13240yen+

Bus: 5000+

Jakarta, Jakarta...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

Dear sammyfloyd, mappleG, bimbimbo.. Thank you for your tips..

Yes it seems I choose the busiest holiday in Japan for my trip and sadly with lack of preparation..

I also already look up for buses, but as you all said, it's full booked

I think my only available options is train.

Anyway, I'm thinking another option, which is rent a minibus with driver to drop us from Haneda to Osaka.

Could anyone help us to refer what rental company that offer chauffeur drive service along with the car?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,850 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

Chauffeur service should cost you even more money.

Your other options are:

1. Trains (the best if available); if you don't have a reserved seat then, get on the train from Tokyo station as mentioned;

2. Rental Car and drive there yourself;

3. Fly. A quick search on fares show one-way from HND to Osaka Itami currently goes for about 15,000 Yen on both JAL and ANA websites.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haneda to Osaka - the most direct and cheapest way?

Remember...those are the trains that have availability as of today and bibimbob has been kind enough to give you a thorough breakdown for the whole 2 days (I had only checked a few trains in the middle of the day) ..but as time goes by fewer and fewer seats will be available as people make their reservations. Are you visiting anyone in Japan who would be able to make seat reservations for you?

You can see flying is not really much more expensive than train, ...that's the best way to go if you can. As for chauffeur and car...that I would imagine would be wildly expensive.