We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling by Japan rail Pass

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
130 posts
295 reviews
Save Topic
travelling by Japan rail Pass

1.Can we use the 7 days consecutive JR pass to travel from Osaka to Kyoto and Kyoto to Tokyo by Shinkasen Train? We will be travelling only from Osaka to Kyoto to Tokyo. Total days in Japan: 9.

2. Can it also be used for local travel in each of these cities? We are 4 adults.

Edited: 11:30 am, November 22, 2011
Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
130 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling by Japan rail Pass

We shall fly in to Osaka and fly out from Tokyo.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,748 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling by Japan rail Pass

When I used a Japan rail pass in 2010 it let me travel on the Shinkansen trains all over and on the Japan Rail trains on the Tokyo underground, but not on the other lines (for which I used a Pasmo card) or on the Kyoto underground.

I think I also had to buy separate tickets for the underground trains in Osaka.

However, the Japan Rail Pass will also let you take more local trains for day trips from Tokyo, Osaka and Tokyo.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,703 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling by Japan rail Pass

JR rail pass official website clearly states what trains you can take:

Shinkansen - except the fastest and more frequent Nozomi. Also JR trains within Tokyo (Yamanote and Chuo lines) and Osaka(Loop line) are ok.

It is not valid on any underground in Tokyo or anywhere else.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,966 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling by Japan rail Pass

If you are only making a one-way journey from Osaka to Tokyo, then you might not be profiting from a JR pass. You should calculate the fare beforehand if you want to make sure that you'd like to profit from the deal.

Also, as stated above, JR pass is valid only for Japan Rail lines (generally excluding the fastest services on the Shinkansen).

JR Group is formed from companies which were privatized and divided from Japan National Railway.

Metro (underground) in Japan are operated by municipally operated public companies.

Private railway companies operate commuter lines in the suburbs of the cities and often are cheaper and most convenient way to travel between cities that are closely built up next to each other

Edited: 5:22 pm, November 22, 2011
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,128 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling by Japan rail Pass

>>We shall fly in to Osaka and fly out from Tokyo.<<

The 7 day JR Pass will not likely to pay off if you're not going back to Osaka from Tokyo. Just buy the individual ticket for long distance travel and a per paid card(s) such as the Suica and ICOCA.

Edited: 5:25 pm, November 22, 2011
6. Re: travelling by Japan rail Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, November 27, 2012