We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay in kyoto or osaka?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
stay in kyoto or osaka?

Hi,

We are planning to explore Kyoto and Osaka but only want to stay in 1 hotel for our duration there (3 nights, 4 days). Do you suggest staying in Kyoto and making a day trip to Osaka or to stay in Osaka and stay in Tokyo?

Thanks!

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay in kyoto or osaka?

It's only my opinion, but I would choose Kyoto. Osaka is a modern city and very nice, but personally I prefer the blend of traditional and modern found in Kyoto.

It really depends on what you want to do and see. In your message I think you indicate that you will be then going to Tokyo? If that is the case, perhaps Kyoto would offer an interesting contrast to Tokyo.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay in kyoto or osaka?

cocoberry,

I am in the same opinion with japantravelteacher.

1. If you are interested in temples and shrines, stay in Kyoto. This is an old, beautiful and historic city. Many famous temples and good tradtional cuisines will give you an exceptional experience.

2. If your like the atmosphere of modern, active Japan, stay in Osaka. Also Osaka Castle gives you some idea of Samurai Period.

3. The distance between Kyoto and Osaka is 42.8 kilometers. The JR line connects these cities in half an hour. Services are very frequent. You do not need tame table; just go to the station and take the next train.

4. Since you have four days in Kyoto-Osaka area, I think, you can go to many famaous places. No need to worry.

5. My personal preference. I would stay in Kyoto and spend full three days walking in Kyoto. Then one day will be for Osaka area.

6. You can come back to Tokyo after eating dinner in Kyoto area; leaving Kyoto at 8:00pm, arriving at Tokyo at 11:00 (by Shinkansen) and chekking in a hotel before midnight.

Enjoy Japan!

Osaka
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: stay in kyoto or osaka?

I agree with the previous posts, that Kyoto is better if you only want to stay in 1 hotel for the duration. There is much more sightseeing to do in Kyoto, so better to base yourself there, and just take a day trip to Osaka to see the castle.

By the way, the deer park and the big Buddha at Todaiji temple in NARA are well worth a day trip visit, if you have the time. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
193 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay in kyoto or osaka?

I spent a few days in Kyoto last spring during the cherry blossom season. Loved it there and plan to return next year. As for castles, I did not see the castle in Osaka, but I did get to the castle just west of Osaka at Himeji, which was fanastic, and the Nagoya castle. In Kyoto be sure to visit the former Shogun's castle. There are many temples in Kyoto with great walks on the east side of the city.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay in kyoto or osaka?

I ended up booking the hotel in Kyoto. Thanks so much for all of your posts! The help is much appreciated and I hope others in my same situation were able to use the help too! Definitely looking forward to my stay in Japan =)

Ontario
Level Contributor
93 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay in kyoto or osaka?

Do you mind my asking which hotel you booked and how did you book it? Thanks.

We will be in Kyoto in early May.