We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ICOCA card or other passes?

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Topic
ICOCA card or other passes?

hi

So I will be staying in Osaka for 5 days in Namba. I have bought the JR Takayama-Hokuriku Pass which have covered the JR line for me to go to shirakawago,kyoto and KIX. I am planning to buy another pass for transportation within osaka and kyoto for other than the JR line because I believe the THP does not cover it. My based will be in Namba.

first day- shirakawago- back to namba

second day- kyoto- back to namba

third day- usj

fourth and fifth day- osaka

so which pass is worth for my transportation from shin-osaka to namba? and around kyoto? is it the ICOCA card or I should buy the Osaka Amazing Pass for one day and kansai one pass to ease my travel within the kyoto city?

5 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ICOCA card or other passes?

I do not think Shirakawago day trip from Osaka is possible.

Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ICOCA card or other passes?

Whether Osaka Amazing Pass pays off or not depends on how much money you can save in the following facilities you can enter free or with discounts.

https://www.osp.osaka-info.jp/en/

https:/…privilege

Otherwise, stay with the ICOCA card.

Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ICOCA card or other passes?

I agree that you should stay 1 night at both Kanazawa and Takayama: it takes @2.5 hours from Osaka to Kanazawa by JR train, followed by @75 min. by Nohi Bus to Shirakawago or @2.5 hours from Osaka to Takayama followed by @50 min by Nohi Bus to Shirakawago.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,684 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ICOCA card or other passes?

It's not a good idea to visit Shirakawago as a day trip. The roundtrip from Osaka takes roughly 7 hours. Also, as attractive as the village is, spending 14,000 Yen for the Takayama Hokuriku Pass for Shirakawago only makes no sense. As Dr. Mabei said, you should plan at least 2 to 3 days to see Kanazawa, Shirakawago and Takayama to make the pass pay off. If all you can afford is one day, I suggest you visit somewhere closer instead of Shirakawago.

In fact, if you have just 5 days, focusing on Kyoto, Osaka and Nara will keep you extremely busy already, especially since you plan to allocate one day to USJ.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
6,749 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ICOCA card or other passes?

The Amazing Pass would not be worth it unless you intend visiting several attractions where the card gives free admission.

Reply to: ICOCA card or other passes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted