We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb Help

Tokyo, Japan
1 post
Save Topic
Airbnb Help

Hello,

I booked an apartment on Airbnb for next week and they have just cancelled on me due to a flood. I have to start over.X( Does anyone know of any reasonably safe area? Thank you.

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
146 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airbnb Help

A flood in Kyoto? In this season? I hardly think so.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,471 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airbnb Help

Flood can be caused by broken pipes, among other things.

Or simply a made-up excuse.

Edited: 12:52 am, February 25, 2016
Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airbnb Help

I think the flood had occurred in their room. Pipes tend to clog easily at non-high end apartments here.

Staying at an officially registered business hotel or guest house is advisable.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298564-Kyoto_Kyoto_P…

Edited: 8:10 am, February 25, 2016
Shanghai Region...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Airbnb Help

This happened to us, too! I don't think that's the truth.

Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airbnb Help

Kyoto City announces the list of officially registered accommodations on their website.

https://translate.google.co.jp/translate…

In Other Words, they prohibit illegal home sharing for tourists.

6. Re: Airbnb Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, February 28, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airbnb Help

NYC Metro, I don't always agree with Seo Hayami, and I don't own a hotel or use Air BnB.

However, Air BnB is a true pain in the @ss for people not using it. It's essentially a conduct of cheating in business, as well as people who live in apartments to have total strangers without identification, who might through away rubbish as they like, create noises or reasons for fire alarms, have kids falling off from the verandas. It can theoretically be operated as brothels (at least some in Tokyo's ethnic area around Okubo are used for that purpose among the ethnic population) or illegal drugs business.

Perhaps some people in USA value freedom and liberty as much as to allow that business to grow in their country and even export it, without paying any respect to local rules, safety regulations, and tax obligation. There are proper accommodation, hotels, hostels, apartment rentals, and real Bed and Breakfasts, which have passed inspection and which are paying due tax. And then comes this foreign company which decides cheats in all respects, and would you want people to embrace it? Viva freedom and liberty?

I am not interested in debating or campaigning against AirBnB on Tripadvisor myself, but suggesting or advertising for Air BnB is like quite out of question, I think.

Edited: 5:16 am, February 28, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airbnb Help

Actually, I am interested in using AirBnB in some countries which are generally corrupt, in which hotels are priced differently towards foreigners, tax is never properly paid or collected as they are never properly used,

safety regulations aren't in place or are used by government officials for exploitation, and hotels are used as brothels. I've been to those countries in central and northern areas of the Eurasian continent and yes in those countries, AirBnB can be a great help.

Perhaps in one way or other countries which seem to value total liberty and free competition like Somalia and Afghanistan do have such issues, and when the going gets rough, tough gets going.

But evading due obligations aren't the way to go in Japan. Air BnB would be dearly loved and indeed it is seen as potentially beneficial to Japan, if they only play fair, like real registered Bed and Breakfasts, observing regulations, and paying due obligations. So far they are not playing fair enough- that's why they are hated; there is no way cheaters can be loved.

Edited: 5:42 am, February 28, 2016
NYC Metro
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airbnb Help

I am only staying my personal experience using AirBnB in JP, and it has always been positive and I have never given anyone a reason to have an issue with me staying in their building.

I booked my places through AirBnB in JP before I had ever heard they were against the law. Having said that I would still use it on another trip to JP because of the great experiences I had.

I feel that certain people on here love to post the same negative story over and over and I'm just adding my positive experience and there are thousands of positive reviews about people staying in JP on AirBnB listings and it's unfair that certain people try to paint it as negative. It's up to AirBnB to take care of the legal aspects of their business, not the people booking stays. If AirBnB is so bad in JP, why isn't the govt doing anything about the 25,000+ listings? Probably because it is a large influx of money into the economy and it isn't that big of a problem, especially with Olympics and WC coming up where lodging is desperately needed.

10. Re: Airbnb Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 pm, May 07, 2016