We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Nature Getaway Between Tokyo and Kyoto

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking Nature Getaway Between Tokyo and Kyoto

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Japan during the second half of May. We're staying with my parents in Ibaraki until the 18th. We would like to spend one night in Tokyo and then head to a countryside for 3 nights.

We're looking for a beautiful, remote spot, preferably close to the ocean where we can go hiking. We will also need accommodations, so any suggestions in the US$100 range for both of us will be great. Preferably, we would like to stay in a Ryokan but I understand that might be impossible in our price range.

On the 22nd, we will head to Kyoto, where we will spend the rest of our time in Japan.

We will have the Rail Pass during that time, so anywhere 3-4 hours from Tokyo (and not too far from Kyoto) will do.

Thank you!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Nature Getaway Between Tokyo and Kyoto

A couple of ideas. First is to look at Izu; it's a beautiful if sometimes rugged coast, and there's plenty of hiking; the two places I've hiked are Jogasaki and Joyama. Both are also popular rock climbing areas. Jogasaki has gorgeous black/gray cliffs that rise out of the ocean, and the hiking course runs along the top of the cliffs. Joyama is more of a traditional cliff; it looks like someone sliced off a side of what is otherwise a large lump of earth that rises up from the surrounding rice paddies. Jogasaki is by far the easier to get to.

You might also look into Ise and Wakayama; in particular look at the pilgrimage routes between Ise and Koya. These links might help:

www.pref.wakayama.lg.jp/english/charm/04.html

worldheritagesite.org/sites/kiimountainrange…

I have another link someplace that outlines the routes in general if you're interested. You might also check out Lonely Planet's hiking guide for Japan.

John W.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,518 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Nature Getaway Between Tokyo and Kyoto

Sometimes, mountain, as opposed to ocean, views are not bad at all. If you visit Kamikochi in early to mid May, you’ll perhaps see:

…sen-shu.ne.jp/yatakarasu/…kappa.htm

image-search.yahoo.co.jp/detail…

I got “she-bit-ray-lieu-ed” (mesmerized) at the awesome view here this early September. There's mountain paths providing great hiking tours for you.

For Kamikochi, go to:

jnto.go.jp/eng/…kamikouchi.html

Enjoy your trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Nature Getaway Between Tokyo and Kyoto

Thank you guys! These places look really great. Now, the only thing to do is decide. Hmmm....

4. Re: Seeking Nature Getaway Between Tokyo and Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 17, 2009