We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few transport questions

hmf
uk
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
A few transport questions

Thanks Shot, for your previous help-I now have more questions!

The 3 Raku buses look very useful, are they still operating? and I can't find anywhere that says how frequent they are.

Are there taxis at most subway stations?-you mentioned that small ones were cheaper, are there usually both types in the same place?

The train line going through Nishioji, Tanbaguchi, Nijo and Hanazono stations-the map calls it 'JR Tokaido' at the Nishioji end and 'Sagano' line at the other end-where does it change name?

The Keifuku railway through Uzumasa.......Sanjoguchi, does it then go to Sai and Shijo-omiya stations or Omiya, Karasuma and Kawaramachi stations?

Are there usually toilets at most of the major tourist temple sites, or if not are there cafes etc closeby?

Is it obvious from street level where the subway stations are in Kyoto and Tokyo?

I think i've read about Tourist Information Centres on the 9th and also 2nd floors of Kyoto station- is the 9th floor better?

Is there a similar one at Shinagawa station in Tokyo?

Thanks alot for any answers.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A few transport questions

Wow, seems like you've learned quite a lot already, hmf!

<The 3 Raku buses look very useful, are they still operating? and I can't find anywhere that says how frequent they are.>

Come rain or come shine, they run throughout the year except "Bon" (mid August) and the New Year's Holidays. As you already know, they have three routes only: 1)"Line 100" to Kiyomizu, Gion, Ginkakuji, obviously the busiest route, 2)"Line 101" to Nijo Castle, Kitano-tenmagu, Golden Pavilion and 3)"Line 102" to Daitokuji, Golden Pavilion, Ginkakuji.

Buses on Line100 run every 10 to 15 minutes of the hour between 0800 and 1500. Yes, buses on the other lines run a lot less frequent. Maybe, every 30min of the hour. You know something? The reason they are fast is because they can skip most of the bus stops along the way, not because they run at a higher speed than the municipal buses on the other lines.

<Are there taxis at most subway stations?-you mentioned that small ones were cheaper, are there usually both types in the same place?>

Taxi stations are limited in number; JR stations have ones, but subway stations don't, except for Kitaoji Station. That said, you sure can hail a taxi, large or small, at major temples / shrines. When you end up joining in a queue at a taxi station, you can't choose, though.

<The train line going through Nishioji, Tanbaguchi, Nijo and Hanazono stations-the map calls it 'JR Tokaido' at the Nishioji end and 'Sagano' line at the other end-where does it change name?>

Umm, there seems to be something terribly wrong with the map... Nishioji is on Tokaido Line(Tokyo-Osaka); Tanbaguchi on Nara Line(Kyoto-Nara); Nijo / Hanazono on Sanin-Sagano Line(Kyoto-Sonobe). I think maybe you can picture what I'm going to say here. If you tilt a large letter T at a 45-degree angle to the right, you get Nara at the lower end of the bar with Sonobe at the opposite upper end and Kyoto right in the middle. Osaka is at the tip of the other straight line extended from its joint, Kyoto; Nishioji is on that line, almost bordering with that joint.

<The Keifuku railway through Uzumasa.......Sanjoguchi, does it then go to Sai and Shijo-omiya stations or Omiya, Karasuma and Kawaramachi stations?>

If you ride from Arashiyama, you can directly go to Shijo-Omiya, via Uzumasa and Sai. "Omiya, Karasuma and Kawaramachi" are the names of the stations for Hankyu Railways, not Keifuku Railways.

Incidentally, if you take Hankyu from Kawaramachi, for example, you can hit Umeda Osaka for 44min and Sannomiya Kobe about 110min.

<Are there usually toilets at most of the major tourist temple sites, or if not are there cafes etc closeby?>

Don't worry, hmf. At every major temple in Kyoto, you can ease yourself when nature calls you. I think I better say this, in case you don't know. 99.99 per cent of the toilets requires a squat position for a do-number-2. Sorry for being indelicate.

<Is it obvious from street level where the subway stations are in Kyoto and Tokyo?>

Many, if not most, of the entrances to the subway stations in Kyoto are roofed, so you can't miss them. Maybe that's not exactly the way it is with Tokyo's subway stations, I guess.

<I think i've read about Tourist Information Centres on the 9th and also 2nd floors of Kyoto station- is the 9th floor better?>

Staff-wise, the 9th's is probably better, I think.

<Is there a similar one at Shinagawa station in Tokyo?>

In Shinagawa, there may be one, but again there may be not. There's one in Yurakucho, though. Visit:

fpcj.jp/e/…list4-02-set.html

Enjoy your trip.

2. Re: A few transport questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 24, 2009