We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

Hi I am looking at visiting Kyoto for the first time in September. I am looking at getting accommodation through airbnb as we are a family of 4. Which areas would be best for us to stay in? I note some of the places I have looked at say it is near a train or bus station with only a few stops to main Kyoto station. Is it worth staying a little bit out from the centre but near a train station or should we only be looking at staying only near main Kyoto station? We want to do usual tourist things in Kyoto.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
27 replies to this topic
Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

Hi!

Last time, I went to Kyoto with 3 families of 3 (total of 9 people), we stayed near Kyoto Station.

Being close to Kyoto Station has its merits as you're pretty close to the RAKU buses and trains you can take to visit the tourist spots like Gion, Kiyomizudera, Arashiyama, and Central Kyoto (shopping district area). Great plus if you're taking kids with you who can't walk long distances.

Cons would probably the accommodation expenses as hotels, guest houses and apartments nearby aren't cheap.

If the bus or train station nearby the AirBNB takes you directly to Kyoto Station without any transfers or too far, then I think you should be alright. Just buy a bus pass or Kyoto City Pass.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Gion
Gion
6,547 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Arashiyama
Arashiyama
5,709 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Kyoto City Hotel
Kyoto City Hotel
36 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
SeaTac, Washington
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

It sort of depends on how much you want to spend on a hotel. The GranVia Kyoto is right in Kyoto station and very convenient, with everything you might need also available either in the station or within a few minutes walking. But it's expensive. They have really nice Family Rooms that have a small sitting area and four beds. If you can afford it.

http://www.granviakyoto.com/

There are machiya to rent in several places in Kyoto. They are old merchant houses that have been updated. This is one reliable place to look for those.

http://www.kyoto-machiya.com/eng/

Another favorite place of mine for inexpensive accommodations is the Kyoto Citadines Hotel. They have family rooms. One stop subway ride from Kyoto station. Mini kitchens in the rooms. Coin laundry in the basement. Grocery store a 3 minute walk away. It is a small hotel, so you should book early if that would be your choice.

citadines.com/en/…karasuma_gojo.html

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Granvia Kyoto
Hotel Granvia Kyoto
3,320 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

While it is convenient to get around Kyoto from Kyoto Station, many of the "usual tourist things" are not close to Kyoto Station. Look at the map on this link to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html

Kyoto Station is in the middle with most everything else in an upside down around it, but not exactly close. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there are more interesting areas I prefer to stay in when I visit Kyoto. I prefer to stay in hotels, so I'm not sure what areas are available, but I love Pontocho, Kawaramachi, Kamogawa, Gion areas which you can see on the map: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3921.html

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Pontocho
Pontocho
1,176 Reviews
Nakagyo, Japan
Kamogawa
Kamogawa
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Gion
Gion
6,547 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

JFYI, Kyoto City announces the list of officially registered accommodations on their website from February 8, 2016.

…kyoto.lg.jp/hokenfukushi/…0000193116.html

In other words, they prohibit illegal home sharing for tourists.

Edited: 7:45 pm, February 27, 2016
Mentioned in this post
Kyoto City Hotel
Kyoto City Hotel
36 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
NYC Metro
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

I would recommend staying near/in Gion on east side of river. I love that area and there are some quiet side streets and easy walk to a lot of sights.

Just used an AirBnB there a few weeks ago and loved it. I love walking through Gion at night especially the canals, side streets and lit up temples/shrines.

Mentioned in this post
Gion
Gion
6,547 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

Issues associated with using AirBnB aside (they operate a non-legal business and troubles are reported), somewhere between Gojo and Sanjo and on both sides of Kamo River (ie Kawaramachi and Higashiyama areas) are fine choices.

Mentioned in this post
Gojo Guest House
Gojo Guest House
131 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,748 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

I think the OP has already been on their holiday to Japan, so dispensing advice about AirBnB in Kyoto is a bit late.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

>>near/in Gion on east side of river.

There are a pachinko parlour named F-1 and love hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Gion
Gion
6,547 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Ottawa
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

What was the Air BNB that you stayed at in Gion? How long is optimal for Kyoto?

Thank you!

Gita Baack, Ottawa Canada

Mentioned in this post
Gion
Gion
6,547 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
NYC Metro
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb

PM me for AirBnB details. I love Kyoto and would try for at least 3 days minimum, and that is still short with all that you can see and do in Kyoto. It's a great walking city and fun to explore and let yourself get lost and find some interesting things to see and do.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: Kyoto areas to stay - airbnb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted