We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide still needed in Gion for geishas

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Italy
6 posts
Save Topic
Guide still needed in Gion for geishas

Few days ago I posted a request of need of a guide to introduce me to the world of geishas for a shooting project.

Under a suggestion I contacted the Kansai interpreter and guide association but no answer until now.

Does someone knows a way to contact an Okiya in Gion?

Thanks in advance.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,246 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide still needed in Gion for geishas

Maybe "Kansai interpreter and guide association" can provide their services to ordinary tourists only.

As I see it, there’s a couple of Japanese companies rendering services to help organize various international conferences by providing (simultaneous) interpreters. Simul International ranks the first in that business, I hear. Their Japanese homepage says something to the effect that they have a long list of professional and semi-professional interpreters that could be hired on a daily basis. I may possibly be wrong, but they will answer your inquiries if you contact them.

Visit “Simul International” in here:

https://www.simul.co.jp/en/top.html

For contact, go to:

https://www.simul.co.jp/en/inquiry/index.html

I think things will go smooth if you contact a union of “okiyas,” rather than making a direct contact with an individual “okiya.” But judging from the way they are that there’s no list of fax number or email address made public and from a hunch I have as a local, they still live in a semi-closed society, or should I say, in their own traditional, exclusive world, so you will find it extremely hard to contact them except you invite a geisha to your own room under the “auspices” of a “ryotei” that you say. That'd involve preparing quite a little amount of budget, though. But, maybe, the landlady of a "ryotei" will help arrange it.

I may be wrong but if you can hire an interpreter and get him / her to call the following places (and should they accept your offer), then there should possibly be a way to have some sort of a photo session.

1)Gion Geigi Union: 075-561-6701

2)Gion Kobu Geigi Union: 075-561-3860

3)Kami-shichiken Geigi Union: 075-463-5858

Good luck.

Italy
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide still needed in Gion for geishas

Shot,

Thanks a lot...you are a professor!!

I'm experiencing big difficulties on arrange a contact for a shooting session and I'll try with the advices you wrote.

Many many thanks.

3. Re: Guide still needed in Gion for geishas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 am, August 17, 2009